What is This Gage Flavor?

It is self fertile. I would net that tree asap. Birds love Bavay. Your plums look strong. I hope the last to ripen . It is one of the best and sweetest plums you will ever eat! :grin:

5 Likes

Rosy gage is a excellent plum in Seattle weather and they really hard to find on the market . ( Still experiment )

12 Likes

You’re having a great year, Vincent. Most congratulations.

Dax

1 Like

I have one single Rosy Gage ripening right now and it looks about the same color as yours, but mine is not noticeably soft yet. Was the one you picked ripe?

1 Like

I have only 2 on the first year. I tasted wonderful and the one in the picture just pick yesterday before it going to rain. Still on the counter ztom.

Just some Euroupian plum ok . Not at all on Japanese plum . I might all Japanese plum away because they bloom too early and very cold sensetive to wet and cold weather DAX.

1 Like

I saw some other threads this morning and noticed you were getting some good fruit. And yesterday I saw your figs. Just glad for you.

You may or may not be aware but I’m in year eight and so far from all my trees I’ve eaten one peach and a few tiny grapes.

Have a good day, Vincent!

Dax

2 Likes

Thank you Dax.
I just like to keep some fruit trees very good quality . Now I am still testing . And will remove all Japanese plum away because of sensitive with late frost when blooming.

2 Likes

2 days after picking. It’s tasting excellent to me with Brix 21 and weight 33 g. I will keep this plum for permanently as family fruit trees.

10 Likes

I picked mine yesterday and it was 20.5 brix and tasted very good. I didn’t weigh it but it was at least golf ball size. Unfortunately I have to battle black knot disease in my area and this tree has been hit fairly hard by it. Hopefully I can keep it from getting too bad.

1 Like

That’s beautiful. I’m a sucker for orange flesh. I’ll have to grow it.

2 Likes

Rosy gage is best plum i have ever tasted but information said It’s very sensitive with diseases Murky . Waiting how it does in the next few year. Mine just planted 3/2017 bareroot from Raintree. I just trimed few branches this moning . Have a little some thing white on the tip of banches. My fruit trees no pray or fertilizer at all.

2 Likes

Black knot shouldn’t affect you in PNW. I think it is mostly east of the Mississippi River. I believe the same goes for brown rot, which is the other ailment that Rosy Gage is known for.

2 Likes

Can we use chemical for treat black knot on plum tree?

Most varieties of Euro plums are delicious once they achieve above 19 brix, and this depends more on the location and season than the specific variety- also on whether the grower waited long enough to harvest, so don’t trust what another grower sells as an accurate evaluation. Gages tend to be less productive here than many wonderful prune-type plums, so in the NE I don’t think they should ever be a first pick for a home orchard with a limited number of trees. Admittedly, I’ve only grown Green Gage and Oullins and Green Gage has consistently disappointed while the Oullins is well worth its space on the seasons it produces well, but that is still not frequent enough where I manage it. Both also take a long time to come into productivity on Myro, and in the NE, plums are longer lived on a vigorous root stock.

Gages do have a unique eating quality and at their best are a wonderful eating experience, if only for the contrast to prune plums. I haven’t had a good one this year so there is no point in writing a description- the flavor is not fresh in my mind. My Oullins crop was light and somehow disappeared before I harvested any. Usually its greenish-yellow colored fruit helps hide it from birds and squirrels. I’ve been harvesting everything else, including ample plums, except my Honey Royale nectarines, which have all been stolen again. Probably an indication that Oullins were particularly good this season.

1 Like

I probably mentioned it before but one day I went out in my orchard and Rosy Gage was covered from head to toe with knots. There was no choice but to chop it down. I’ve never seen a tree get knot anywhere nearly as badly.

The most reliable Gage-type plum in my climate has been Reine des Miraballes which is much more a Gage than a Mirabelle. Also Golden Transparent Gage has been pretty reliable and Bavays has been reasonable (but small fruited).

4 Likes

That’s good to hear since I have a 4 or 5 year old Reine des Mirabelle and a Golden Transparent Gage. Both produced a few fruits for the first time before PC got them this year. I’ll go out of my way to protect them next year since these are among the trees that I haven’t got to sample yet. My Rosy Gage got black knot in two places on the trunk right away. I had already got rid of a previous RG for the same reason, so I decided to fight it on this one. I’ve had to cut new knots out of the same area every year but it seems to be hanging in there. In fact the tree is very vigorous and healthy other than the knots. After I cut the knots this year, I hit them with daconil at bi-weekly intervals for awhile.

I agree. I got a 16 brix Early Laxton earlier this summer. It was decent, but it was definitely a notch below the 20.5 brix Rosy Gage that I just tried. I picked the EL around July 15. I wonder if it could have hit 17 or 18 if I left it on longer. I’m debating whether to top work it or not.

Here’s a pic of the Rosy Gage:

6 Likes

What else are you eating mid July. I want an Early Laxton at my current place.

So far, most of my Euros have been disappointing but my Elephant Hearts have been absolutely sublime. Can’t recommend them though, they are not reliable in my region and take a long time to bare fruit- actually, maybe as a single branch. They are more suitable to the west. I fell in love with them as a boy in S. Ca.- the first variety of fruit tree I ever purchased, although there was too much shade at my boyhood home and ground squirrels always got its fruit anyway. Satsuma is the best red fleshed substitute here, but it is nothing but a sister of the true queen.

Hot summers don’t seem to suit E plums all that well, especially if between hot spells it rains incessantly. I’m hoping that my Valors will turn out well, but the early ripening ones on its tree have not been impressive. They seem to build up the brix better in typical fall weather. I bet they are truly sucking in England and France this season with the relentless heat they are experiencing.