What is this Plant from Japan?

I was traveling in Takehara - Hommachi, Japan. I saw these beautiful hibiscus / lily-like plants. Would anyone happen to know what this plant is?

1 Like

Hi @KidneySaurus , welcome to GrowingFruit! Do you have a photo of the plant?

1 Like

@KidneySaurus

Welcome to the forum!

@Richard

I met @KidneySaurus at a birthday party yesterday and saw photos of the red flower. The stock looks a bit like an asiatic lilly, it is not a flower i’m familiar with.

Without specific description, it is very hard to figure out. Does it look like this?

3 Likes

Hibiscus

1 Like

The OP @KidneySaurus has not posted the pic of the flower in question so we really don’t know until the OP shows the pic.

1 Like

Yes it’s a hibiscus. I saw this variety in Jamaica and was wondering why in the world (literally) this isn’t widely sold in the US. If so I haven’t seen it. I would buy this over our standard variety any day.

2 Likes

I posted a picture. I haven’t had the best internet recently, but hopefully that should be fixed soon

1 Like

That is a very nice red flower. It is hard to believe we cannot get them in the USA. They look a lot like asiatic lillies in many ways as i mentioned.

2 Likes

@clarkinks, it not a red Asiatic lily? It reminds me of a red version of a tiger lily. Here’s an Internet picture of the red Asiatic lily:
th-1769200314

[edited to add another picture]

download

2 Likes

@Audi_o_phile @mamuang @Shibumi @Richard @mrsg47

Maybe they are a taller than normal type of asiatic lilly?

2 Likes

It looks like Asiatic lily to me. I am not surprised if Japanese one is a bit different.

1 Like

Asiatic lilies are hybrids with multiple species in their ancestry and therefore quite variable. There’s nothing about the lilies pictured that indicates they’re anything other than asiatic lilies.

2 Likes

One of the best sources of lilies/ hybrids I know of.
I even had 6’ tall hybrids from her, (Shererazade) I think was one of them.

3 Likes

@KidneySaurus

Sounds like most people are now thinking it is a type of asiatic lilly. We will try to figure out which one. How tall was it?

Asian lily

1 Like

This was an similar one i grew Low maintenance perennial flower garden

2 Likes