What is wrong with my pawpaws?

Can’t help at this moment Dave. I have no idea what was on my mind that day and etc.

Best regards,

Dax

2 Likes

Another mystery paw paw issue. Any ideas what’s going on with the leaves on this one? This is a friend of mine’s tree, located in central Ohio.

I started this thread in 2017, but have returned for more help!

The pawpaw tree I posted pictures of was wrapped with landscape fabric for 1-2 years and it is now 8-10 feet tall with a 2-3 inch trunk at the base. I appreciated the help on that tree!

A pawpaw tree that was planted in a more shady spot 10-20 feet away from the aforementioned tree has not grown in 4 years! It is only 8 inches tall with two light green/yellow leaves. It has been the same size since 2017. I didn’t wrap this tree in landscape fabric at that time as the tree is definitely not in full sun. Additionally, the tree has also had to compete with vigorous mugwort. I have aggressively removed the mugwort the past year and the tree still hasn’t grown. I could try the landscape fabric option again. Does anyone have suggestions with this stunted tree?

Thank you!

This looks like Phyllostica - haloed spots. It could be another fungal disease. There does not appear to be much research or information on fungal diseases of pawpaw. Check with your county extension agent - you could submit these to a Plant Pathology lab to get an answer.

Phyllostica.

1 Like

What is around it other than mugwort? Species, size, etc. There might be competition from those. Have you done a soil analysis to determine what might be missing, or present in too high levels? Is it in an area where construction debris might have been dumped, or where subsoil was piled? Does it get run-off from a nearby street? All things to consider.

They were okay on the following year. Thank you.

The area is a woodland edge. I doubt there is debris nearby. The pawpaw 10 feet away from it responded well to the landscape fabric technique. I might attempt that again. I was watching some Youtube videos and was surprised how much shade young pawpaws need. I will also be more vigilant weeding the mugwort out.

Mugwort does have some allelopathic effects. It would be interesting to learn what plants it suppresses, and what all it is suppressed by.

I have been surprised as the amount of mugwort should theoretically not be hindering the pawpaw’s growth. Maybe the real battle is going on beneath the soil with allelopathic effects.

In addition to landscape fabric, maybe 1-2 years of nitrogen fertilizer may help.

This is a new problem, but the thread title is exactly what I was going to use. Whatever this is has appeared on several of my pawpaws. These trees are all several years old, from 4-6 feet tall, growing in mostly shade, none of them have fruited. All of the leaves on the affected plants have this same appearance.
PXL_20220616_155742373

Anyone know what kind of bugs diseases on one of my Pawpaw? How to control it ? Thank you.

That looks like some kind of Scale,Vincent.I haven’t heard of them being on Pawpaw.
They can be squished.

1 Like

one of my seedling elbows popped out then seems to have gone black or rotten. the others are fine, it’s just this one

I’m pretty sad as it’s the only shenandoah that germinated. think it’ll make it? I transplanted three seedlings this size and the other two are fine (Wabash and nc1)

pulled the dirt back a little to show. some roots got exposed doing the picture

@Bradybb Thank you. I removed all them off the branches with wood sticks.

1 Like

It may try to resprout from that remaining mass if you give it time. Was the seed stuck in the soil as the seedling grew? I’ve had some that I’ve had to help along my removing the casing or freeing it up in the planting medium or else they get stuck in the soil and can’t escape out of it and rot right where yours did. Either that or it got some sun it hadn’t experienced before and it burnt.

1 Like

I’ve seen that only rarely on my trees. Never bothered to figure out what it was, just scraped it off like you did :nerd_face:

1 Like

Yes I did. Hopefully they are not spreading to others fruit trees. Thank you so much @TrilobaTracker

1 Like

Are all your pawpaws related? (seedlings from a common source)

Did they leaf out this way again this year?

it almost looks like variegation, but if it is affecting all of them I would think a deficiency or an insect is to blame.

looks cool, though

Scott

I bet ya that’s it. all the straw is nice but they struggle at that elbow stage. I put the dirt back pretty gently, will hope it recovers. two of my others are leafing out, one is alive but not leafy yet, two more pushing elbows. one just dropped the seed case. they’ve been slowly going for months- it seems like they grow an inch a year for me. I’m not sure how to push faster growth without burning/overdoing the fert for them.

I just finished pulling the oat that was coming up from my oat straw. the only thing I’ve left nearby was a single dandelion by the fence a foot away. there’s winecap in this bed. don’t think it can have sunburn as this area gets only shade with a few minutes of afternoon sun