What is your favorite sweetcorn

Mirai corn is what I like, I’ve tried other super sweets and Mirai is sweeter.

1 Like

Mirai is excellent, only had it once though. I like Xtra tender 277A, I know someone who plants a row to attract raccoons away from the main field (of a bigger eared variety) so he can trap them easier.

How about any recs for corn devoid of the extra sweetness genes? I’d really like some help in choosing older varieties beyond the yellow bantom I’m using now. I’d prefer the higher flavenoid yellow types (I wish there was a high quality blue sweet corn just for the health benefit of flavs).

I can’t be the only corn lover here that hates the sweet sweets. It surprises me that they are so popular on this forum when so many members like higher acid fruit that isn’t just sugar with texture.

Maybe I should start my own sweet corn topic. “What’s your favorite not-so-sweet corn”.

1 Like

Do you want the su sweetcorn, golden bantom is one. My favorite, Incredible, is a se one gene for sweetness, tender kernals, not excessively sweet, SE types have 2 sweet genes. Both Harris and Stoke seeds have good explanation of the differing genetic sweetness genes.

The less sweet corn varieties are getting harder to find every year.

Incredible is still too sweet for me. I can always find a few varieties from seed houses that specialize in heirlooms- but they aren’t always very good here. Country Gentleman was a bust.

Here is a source for many varieties from a company that seems to know where I’m coming from in not being crazy about corn candy. I will try a couple of their varieties next season and let folks know if anything is outstanding for NY.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/catalog/corn.html

@alan - I think I’m in the same boat. I wasn’t impressed by the flavor of the se+ corn I planted this year. It doesn’t seem like the se+ types get that toothsome chewiness that the old fashioned varieties get. I remember I hated it when I was a kid, but I like it now. My dad still doesn’t like it, but that was what my mom liked. I can still remember my dad and me complaining about my mom letting the ears stay on the stalks too long.

I might go back to Iochief next year for some of the rows I plant. The other old-fashioned (waaay back in the 1980’s for me… ha!) that I remember us planting for a few years was NK 199.

https://www.rhshumway.com/P/03945/Nk+199+Sweet+Corn

I always remember NK199 as very good/great freezing sweet corn. Tasty fresh too. Tried to get it last yr. but was unavailable at my supplier. It was new to me way, way back in the 1970’s.

Burpee Bicolor is my favorite for home growing. The seed is available locally. It is very productive and stands well in the wind. Good corn flavor. This standard variety works for me every time. I tried another kind but the corn odor in my garden was very strong and the raccoons, possums, ect. destroyed half my crop (probably 10 bags 50 lbs each) in one night. Cant remember the variety.

My short growing season limits my corn selection possibilities considerably. This year I grew Espresso, an early bi-colored corn. It was fantastic. Will probably continue to grow it in the future. Great taste, tight wrappers to keep the worms out, and matured probqably 3-4 dozen ears from a 25’ x 3’ bed. But it is a hybrid.

As far as old fashion, non-hybrid corn goes, Golden Bantam has done pretty well up here in past years.