What is your Tip OF The Day?

Always have more scion wood than you will need in the refrigerator for regrafts. Give all scions a dip in 10% bleach water even if they are your own. Stuff happens

4 Likes

Great tip. Do you dry the scions after the 10% bleach dip. Bill

2 Likes

Yes I dry them at least most of the way Bill. Meaning I leave them in the bottom a sink drip drying 30 + minutes. Then I bad them in a ziploc and put them I mm the refrigerator not really dry or wet.

1 Like

Tip of day today : be specific on your goals do you want quality or quantity ? Big pears or small , sugary pears that are melting or hard firm pears? Feeding yourself or the army? Once you know that shop for pear trees. Never go by what someone else called good.

1 Like

Thanks

1 Like

Fluffy- Interested to hear some of your favorite pomology myths.

2 Likes

@clarkinks

How badly do you try to get them into the ziplock bag before giving up ? :wink:

Mike

3 Likes

Start your summer seeds, Ive got two deep tin foil hotel pans with 28 starts and 3 double T8 fixtures with a variety of bulbs, love this time of year.

1 Like

Also, start them according to your own plant out dates. Starting too early means spending a lot of extra time up potting and juggling containers in an attempt to give them sufficient light. Without enough light, they become gangly, which isn’t good for them in the long run.

2 Likes

This weather is trying to trick me into starting early.

3 Likes

Love smart phones lol …i type it mispels. It corrects me randomly and knows i really meant to say bad not bag. Makes me look good :0)

2 Likes

By not crushing the cambium I take that to favor sawing off the stock vs cutting with pruning shears or did you have something else in mind?

1 Like

Increasing the area of the the irrigation coverage.

My original installation had the heads a few inches above the ground and close to the tree. All the water was landing within 3" of the head.

I moved the heads so they were halfway between the trees and raised them up. I cut a 20" length of PVC, drilled a hole 5" from the bottom and threaded the tubing up the PVC. The water is now covering a 18" circle and not pooling up anymore.

6 Likes

My tip is this. Whenever you’re outside, no matter how cloudy it may be,
ALWAYS wear sunglasses. I didn’t do this early on in my gardening endeavors
and have slowly developed a non cancerous growth, called a pinguecula, in my left eye. My ophthalmologist says it is caused by exposure to the sun’s uv rays, and I could have prevented it, if I had worn sunglasses, every time I gardened. Hopefully, it won’t grow any bigger and invade my cornea. So please learn from my mistake.

10 Likes

great tip

Sorry to here that , Ray.

A friend of my spend a month volunteering in Kenya in hid 20’s. He did not wear sun glasses to protect his blue eyes from hot African sun at all.

He developed cancer in his eyes in his late 40’s. His ophthalmologist believes it was caused that the time he spent in Kenya and his tendency not to wear sun glasses when he should have.

Light colored eyes are more susceptible to sun damage than dark colored eyes.

I agree Mamuang, I have blue eyes and get headaches from only a few hours out in the sun without shades.

1 Like

I’ve had welders flash pretty bad before. Another thing people don’t think to much about is cracks in the windshields. They tend to find a way to aim the sunlight right to your eyes. They can magnify too if the cracks are right.

Johnny,
I am drilled in my head by my ophthalmologist that when I see flashes like lightning in my eyes, it is not a good sign. I have to have it checked everytime as there is concern about ratina detachment :grimacing:

People call both an optometrist and an ophthalmologist an eye doctor. It is an ophthalogist that I need to see when that condition occurs.

Ray is absolutely right about his tip: wearing sun glasses when going out in the yard. Don’t underestimate the damage sunlight coul do to our eyes.

2 Likes

For those who like me wear prescription glasses, having a UV protection coating on lenses is a good idea. This coating is pretty common and inexpensive these days.

2 Likes