What is your Tip OF The Day?

Here’s where I learned about it.

http://figs4funforum.arghchive.com/post/got-nailed-by-bee-fig-tree-sap-works-6516431?pid=1279457787

Basically, bee venom is a protein, and fig sap contains proteolytic enzymes (meat tenderizers) that attack it. It needs to be applied asap to be most effective. Fig sap can also cause allergies for some, and has the same chemical component as giant hogweed which can cause skin burns when exposed to direct sunlight afterward.

So it is a good idea to wash it off and or cover the area afterwards.

8 Likes

Could put a toilet seat on that chair too. Just saying

1 Like

Multi-purpose I like that, thank God I sold that house.

2 Likes

I use pop cans and cut them up. I also use pens that have run out of ink for the engraving.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

You can also put the leaf of a plantain weed on it (PLantago major). I brought it into my yard because of that and because it’s edible.
John S
PDX OR

3 Likes

We sell some of our plantain to an herbalist/aromatherapist, who uses it in some of her tinctures.

3 Likes

Plantain is great, the best for anything itchy.

2 Likes

Per my neighbor LED Blacklight (10.00 walmart) makes tomato horn worm glow in the dark.

Bought one… no horn worms yet this year… looking forward to easily finding them all.

TNHunter

5 Likes

@hoosierbanana ---- another plant that is very good for itchy…

Jewlweed - You often find it growing in deep hollows, wet areas… I took the pic below while on a ginseng hunt.

The plant stems are very juicy, you can crush them in your hands and have a handfull of green goo that is very soothing to anything itchy.

I most often get poison ivy when digging ginseng… and I most often use jewelweed when hunting ginseng. Good for poison ivy itch, and nettles. Nice that it grows normally near both.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/impatiens_capensis.shtml

TNHunter

6 Likes

I changed my mined after building a Muscadine trellis that I wanted to plant Maypop and Kiwi instead. So I added 3/4" PVC to the trellis wires to make it a 4’ wide trellis as well as give the vines something to attach to. Not sure how long the PVC will last or when the pecan tree will fall on it? Not sure if the plants will die to the ground each year or not?

6 Likes

Looks great.

1 Like

Tips for nursery pot uses:

When you are spreading mulch around small plants, you can speed things up by up-ending nursery pots over the plants before mulching. After dumping the mulch, carefully pull the pots up. No more buried plants!

If you cut the bottom and lower sides out of a nursery pot, you can settle the top portion into the soil around a plant and use it for a watering ring. Very useful if you have soil that water tends to run off of instead of soaking in.

10 Likes

Those are very useful tips. Thanks

1 Like

Those are perfect. The kind of ideas that seem so obvious one pointed out. Can’t wait to try them out next spring!

2 Likes

Led blacklight on tomato hornworm… on a cloudy morning… cant wait to try this when dark.

PS… that was his last picture ever :wink:

TNHunter

13 Likes

Wish I had known about the black light when I grew tomatos. Good tip.

3 Likes

This is what it looks like after dark. Found 5 more easily just now… stink bugs glow too.

The horn worms are in trouble now.

TNHunter

8 Likes

This is a tip from another person and I have not tried it. I did the fence inside a fence also, the deer can jump high and they can jump far but they can’t jump high and far at the same time.

4 Likes

Yes, I have struggled with spider mites on my potted citrus, they almost killed my key lime tree, but I was being quite negligent… I usually spray with neem oil before bringing them in, but I guess this year I’ll do it more thoroughly and a couple times during the winter. Ive had a lemon and lime trees for 2 years and not a single fruit that made it to being harvested yet. Hope this is the year!

2 Likes

When I put netting over bushes, I hold down the edges with gallon jugs of water. Then at the end of the season I can just empty the jugs and put them on a cord and hang them in a shed. Easier than dealing with rocks or boards.

5 Likes