What kind of pear is this

We planted this tree long time ago no one remembers what variety it is.

5 Likes

6 Likes

@Azt203

Those pictures look like ayers but it is the wrong time of year.

1 Like

We picked them late August, I took the photos a while ago,

6 Likes

@Azt203

That makes sense now that you said when they ripened, they look just like ayers. Ayers are very juicy to a point of dripping. They are very unique pears.

3 Likes

What gorgeous looking pears!

I’m planning on grafting some Ayers this coming spring. I only have to wait about 3 years right?!

2 Likes

@Shibumi

Mine took a long time to produce here, but they are unstoppable once they get going. My area is delayed in growing everything. The quality of the fruit here is excellent.

2 Likes

I went to look at my working list for FB resistant low chill pears and I appear to have deleted the file!

Hood tree is on the way. May graft onto it right when I get it if the scaffolding allows.

I have 3 OHxF 87 rootstocks ready to graft in the spring. At least one will be grown out for a 3 cordon espalier with 3 varieties.

I remember
Ayers
Potomac
Warren

Hybrid
Reddy Robin (if I can find scion)

2 Likes

@Shibumi

I have reddy robin but it is not fully fireblight resistant. It is very rare. My tree is small. Will let you know more about it in the next year or two once it fruits.

2 Likes

So not-so-ready reddy robin. Not worth even trying a non-resistant variety.

Thanks.

I think the other 3 are plenty to start with next spring. I’m going to shelf thinking about them. Plenty of other rabbit holes to dive down.

Thank goodness not literally. The only animal I have that I need to worry about are squirrels.

And avian dinosaurs… A. K. A. Birds.

2 Likes

@Shibumi

That is a very good group to start with. Potomac has the longest chill hour requirement at around 600 the other 2 are very low chill hours. All excellent choices of pears. I would grow karls favorite aka ewart grafted on the same tree as warren. I do grow karls favorite on the same tree.

1 Like

Potomac might be a reach then. The winters are so varied here. We can go from 300 to 700+.

I think a few of the Harrow series might be possible, I’ll need to look at the patent info and see if anyone has the scion.

2 Likes

@Shibumi

Ayers reportedly is 150 - 400 chill hours
Warren is reported to be 500 - 600 chill hours

1 Like

@clarkinks

I just reread the Harrow thread…well looked through it…

Are the Harrow pears patented? I see only one Harrow (Delight) on fruitwood Nursery’s site, so I’m thinking of they were all developed and released close together they would all be off patent. Or is that only applicable to US developed trees?

Anyway reading they are most highly FB resistant it would be great to find one on the lower chill side that would be worth growing.

2 Likes

@Shibumi

The harrow sweet and harrow delight both have fireblight this year. Harrow delight gets it worse. Hs is trademarked. HD is not under a patent or TM as far as i know.

2 Likes

My Ayers took a long time to produce too. This year I got some really tasty fruit. Looked exactly like that picture.

3 Likes

@clarkinks
Others …
Does this look like a pineapple pear ?

3 Likes

Is it somewhat acidic and awful? :slight_smile: Pineapple pear has a bit of a nasty bite to it in my opinion. If it’s edible, I would think it could be something else.

1 Like

@Hillbillyhort

I need to see the calex end of that pear. Its close though some pineapple are more bell shaped. It looks pretty similar.

1 Like

Pineapple pear:

3 Likes