What methods have you used to remove astringency from Asian persimmons besides drying?

Thanks but this did not work for my Prok. I tried storing in a warm spot, storing in a cold spot, storing in a closed container with ethanol, mixing paste with ethanol, mixing paste with gelatin, freezing. Nothing worked. There were a few very ripe fruits still on the tree in December - still astringent.

2 Likes

@jrd51 … thats not nice. Have others experienced the same issue with prok ?

Others i wanted to try are H63A. WS8-10, 100-46.

Do you know if any of those have the same issue ?

My sisters mature wild american trees are in full sun location… and they do loose all astringency after a week on the counter… if you pick them when they are a little soft.

A persimmon that never looses its astringency would be a bummer for sure.

1 Like

According to this article, various polysaccharides including xanthan gum and carrageenan can have good effect. I picked up some xanthan gum today and will see how it goes. I’m hoping that, if it works, it doesn’t also thicken it too much.

1 Like

@jjjreisss … my wife uses that as a thickner for a few keto dishes…

Occasionally she makes keto sausage / biscuits/ gravy… which is very good.

I recall the gravy has cream cheese and xyanthum gum in it… possibly other stuff to.

It does thicken well.

1 Like

I have two giant fuyu persimmons that are always slightly astringent. My asian family says that non-astringent Persimmons grown in cool and short summer regions can retain slight astringency (especially late season varieties and gosho varieties when not pollinated). The astringency of these fruit supposedly cannot be removed by treatment as it can with other astringent cultivars.
So, I only eat these slightly astringent persimmons after drying them as chips (ripe ones) or Hoshigaki (underripe and a little green).

3 Likes

This year I harvested fruit from 2nd year grafts of both H63A and WS8-10 on the top-worked Prok. Both varieties became non-astringent or minimally / tolerably astringent while either (a) soft ripe on the tree for H63A, or (b) soft ripe on the ground for Barbra’s Blush. Bottom line: Good varieties become minimally astringent even if grafted to the very same tree that can’t reliably produce non-astringent fruit.

3 Likes

I have no idea.

1 Like

But you live in Z9B, right? I usually associate Z9 with warm areas but it only really describes the winter. Are you in some northern maritime region that never gets cold but also never gets hot?

2 Likes

Yes, I’m in Santa Cruz with maritime influence, and in a canyon so I’m always a little cooler. Other Jiro, izu persimmons are fine.

5 Likes