What mushroom this could be?

It’s the season for mushroom growth. My property is full of them right now. They are probably all poisonous but doesn’t matter to me anyway, mushrooms are something I’ve never developed a taste for. And I’m in prime morel country.

That looked like it. Thanks.

1 Like

Can I jump on the mushroom identification bandwagon? Found these mushrooms growing out of some logs in my fire-pit log pile. They’re about 3"across, and still seem very moist. I don’t know what type of log they’re growing on, cause we dump lots of assorted logs into the pile whenever we find them.

1 Like

@Bradybb , et al,
Do you know what these mushrooms are. They grow on the oak mulch. We have frequent and, sometimes, heavy rain for more than month now.

These mushrooms are popping up in many piles of myoak mulch.

1 Like

Close up pics.

1 Like

Is your quest possibly about finding out the eatability?If so,please don’t take my word as 100% factual.
I did see one,the Honey mushroom,but the grouping is different.There are so many and the poisonous counterparts look very close sometimes.
Around here,there is the Puget Sound Mycological Society,which can help identify.Maybe there is something like that in your area.
I just went to the PSMS website and they will try to identify your mushroom.This is what they need:
Please send high quality, detailed photos of every part of the mushroom; for example, the top of the cap, underneath the cap, and the entirety of the stem.
Maybe post a few more photos and I will pass them on.

This is a tough one as it’s a fairly generic brown gilled mushroom. I can only tell you that it’s not too likely to be an edible species. You might have better luck asking on the mycology subreddit.

No, I do not want to eat any mushroom growing naturally in my yard. Too risky. I just want to know the name. They must somehow like this type of mulch because they show up everywhere where the mulch is.

I will take more pics.

Here are some close up pics.

When they open.

They grow in clusters.

I received a reply from a member of the Puget Sound Mycological Society.Here it is.
“I think this is a species of Gymnopus or Collybiopsis. None are really eaten as they are tough to chew and sometimes bitter, although I don’t know of any poisonous ones.
They aren’t quite fully studied so I don’t know what species they might be, and there are different species in MA than here in the PNW.”

2 Likes

Brady,
It was so nice of you to go out of your way to find an answer for me. Really appreciate it

Even though these mushrooms are not poisonous, I have no interest in eating mushroom that I am not growing myself (which I have not grown any).

Thank you again very much.

2 Likes

10 Likes

Mmmmmm… fried chicken :smiley:

1 Like

A wordof caution, I had bad reaction on chicken of the Woods mushroom. Rashes all over my body until I threw it outside

2 Likes

Bad reaction after you ate it or after you touched it?

I went hiking and came across the same type of mushroom. It was growing on the side of a dead tree above 8,000 feet of elevation. I don’t know what it is and took only a small portion of it home to study. Found out it’s Chicken of the Forest. It’s a beginner mushroom because no other mushroom look like it. It’s was a huge mushroom possibly 3 or 4 pounds. Depend on the cut and age of the mushroom, it can be bitter or slightly sour. Does have a citrus taste to them. I ate a small portion to determine if I’m allergic to it. Everything was fine. I putted in my hamburger and it just pop in my mouth. Putted in the stir fried and the flavor was outstanding. I wish I would just take the whole thing after experience the taste and how much of an impact the mushroom has on the food.

1 Like

Sadly some of us are more susceptible to some of the things in mushrooms. I can’t eat raw shitake mushrooms, after two days I get rashes all over my body that lasts for a few days more. For me and it could be for you as well your body is reacting to the chitin molecule in the mushroom, a whiff of the spores can be enough for some people.

Heck in some it is bad enough to cause diarrhea, bloating, and even vomiting. It is still considered an allergic reaction not a poisoning.

After brought it home. I didn’t eat it

Yes.my was caused by the spores. I also was told the chicken of the woods was picked too late too. It was growing on a pine wood stump, not sure this might have been a fact or not.

I wish I knew more about mushrooms. The only ones I eat a from a store. I saw this one today. Anyone what it is?

1 Like