What Peach Variety Has These Flowers?

Which peach varieties have this type of flower? They are small, light pink/peach in color, and somewhat cup-shaped, rather than the vibrant pink fully open seen on many. The tree produces yellow peaches.

2 Likes

@YumYumTrees … wish I could answer that for you… but sorry… no idea.

I bought a Reliance peach tree from Starks 20 years ago… it arrived here labeled as Reliance… but after I posted some pics of the blooms this spring many here informed me… it was not a Reliance.

My tree has those extra showy large pink blossoms you mentioned. The fruit looks like reliance fruit, ripens when reliance fruit ripens… that matches perfectly but the blossoms are just way different.

Now there is some extra showy large pink blossoms… but unfortunately… like you I dont know for sure exactly what peach tree it is.

Good luck with ID on yours.

3 Likes

Typically, there are two types of peach flowers, showy and non-showy. The one you posted was a non-showy variety.

It is difficulty to narrow down a variety as there are so many of peaches that have non-showy flowers. Most of Paul Friday peaches are non-showy. So are many others.

Pictures of the fruit and its ripening time could help narrow down this variety.

3 Likes

Thanks. No problem if it is common to have flowers like this. I was under the impression they may be less prevalent compared to the vibrant blossoms due to image search results.

Its a very cold hardy variety that has never been effected by late freezes in 6a. 2-3 inch diameter. Round not flat. yellow/orange flesh. Sweet, but I wouldn’t say overly so. flesh does not melt. Yellow/red skin. Keeps well for about 1 month in refrigerator. In 6a fruit is ready for harvest (firm with slight softness) between 7/25-8/8 . For comparison, July Prince is ready for harvest around 9/1 in the same location. Based on nursery listing July Prince should ripen around 7/7 (if Elberta ripens 7/15) in zone 8a.

Does anyone know varieties that have double red/crimson blossom, other than Red Baron? I was going to get a Red-Baron but it appears its not actually hardy beyond zone 7, contrary to what one nursery lists it as 6… ?

Most nurseries use Redhaven as a reference point. Julyprince is usually listed between +7 to +14 +20 ish after RedHaven. This means we’re most likely looking at a pre-Redhaven ripening window. Do you have a Redhaven near by? If so, when does Redhaven ripen?

This doesn’t look like a double blossom though.

Do you have a picture of the leaves to show gland type?

I only have this and July Prince at the moment. (11) different varieties on order for the upcoming spring. I hope that they all work in my zone, as I could not find info on some of them… Correct, these are not double blossom.

This is the best photo I have of the leaves

1 Like

Anyone else got a second opinion? It looks globose to me.

When it comes to peaches, let’s ask the peach guru @Olpea Mark may have some idea.

Where are you in zone 6. If you put your state or county in, it will be helpful for us to know what diseases and pests you may encounter.

In general, growing peaches outside arid areas is challenging. The longer your trees are in the ground, the more diseases and pests will find your trees and your peaches.

11 more trees!! You will have peaches coming out your ear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

NE OH. This is the list of peaches I ordered w chilling hours, yellow vs white, and estimated ripening dates. I hope so. I want to have a continuous supply of peaches thru summer to early fall. Though, I think that springprice may not be in my zone. I cannot find any info.

650 Y SpringPrince - (7/18) -
850 Y RubyPrince - (7/24)
950 Y SurePrince - (8/4)
750 Y Challenger - (8/11)
800 W Snow Giant - (8/19)
800 W White Lady - (8/24)
800 W Galactica - (8/27)
1100 W China Pearl (9/5)
850 Y AugustPrince - (9/14)
850 Y Flame Prince - (9/23) -
850 Y Sunny J - (10/8)

A few thoughts.

As indicated, nearly impossible to identify a peach based on flower (showy vs. non showy). The bloom is just one small piece of info to be able to identify a cultivated variety (Of course it’s possible a purchased peach tree could be misidentified and simply be a seedling rootstock, in which case it would be completely impossible to identify a peach tree based on flower.)

For trying to identify cultivated varieties of peaches, flower type is a small, but very relevant, piece of the evidence. Ripening time is also pretty important. Physiological attributes of the peach can be relevant, but are probably the least authoritative in solving the mystery. That’s because there is so much physiological variability between a given variety of peaches on a given tree. Some physiological attributes can be important, such as a yellow fleshed peach, vs. a white fleshed peach. Or red in the flesh of the peach, etc., but most physiological attributes are the result the amount of shading of the peach, crop load, etc. Of course double red peaches can’t be mistaken for a poorly colored peach like Veteran, but most peaches do not have such a stark visible difference.

I suppose a fair analogy might be with people. People are all different sizes and shapes, even though some of these very unique people might have the same lineage. It’s just not a suitable means to determine lineage (physical appearance, that is). Environmental factors, etc. play a large role in trying to tease out the genetic background of similar peaches (or similar looking humans).

Type of leaf gland can be another good clue in determining the variety.

And of course ripening time (generally relative to Redhaven, as mentioned). Sometimes ripening time will be relative to Elberta, but Elberta is just about extinct as a commercial variety, so that info not so valuable. Just keep in mind Elberta is about 30 days after Redhaven in much of the Midwest.

A couple corrections from this thread, I would might mention:

JulyPrince ripens around +25 Redhaven. Not +7 or +14 Redhaven, at least in my climate.

This is not only based on my own experience. Vaughn Nursery lists it as a -8 (Elberta peach) which equates to a +22 (Redhaven).

Also Prof. Layne puts Julyprince in the window after Winblo, which would be about +21.

Here it ripens +25, which isn’t surprising because late season peaches frequently ripen in a more spread out period here compared to peaches closer to the East Coast.

One other fine caveat. Not all of Paul Friday’s releases have non-showy flowers. PF7a definitely has showy flowers. PF24-007 also has showy flowers. But as Tippy points out, for sure, just about all of Paul Friday’s releases have non-showy blooms.

3 Likes

Oopies. I was looking at my chart notes wrong. It’s +20 +22 for me.

What is Reliance for you? +7 Redhaven?

1 Like

Thank you, Mark, for correction re.PF peaches. I edited my previous post.

@YumYumTrees - having peach trees with small flowers (non-showy flowers are small) does not mean their fruit/peaches will be small. In other words, the size of the flowers does not seem to correlate to the size of the fruit.

2 Likes

NVM @Olpea

Found an old post

Vaughn Nursery lists Reliance after Julyprince, and I had suspected that was an error.

That’s actually a fairly common error. General errors on ripening charts, that is. It’s pretty annoying for a commercial grower trying to organize an orchard based on ripening times. Virtually all direct market peach growers plant peaches for each harvest window. Growers (at least smaller growers) want the varieties in order. It makes harvesting much easier.

You wouldn’t think correct order is that big of a deal, but it is a pretty big hassle to drive down different rows trying to find peach varieties which were planted out of order, especially for multiple pickings of the varieties. Not to mention it’s nearly impossible to direct customers to multiple locations of picking because peaches were planted out of ripening order, for Upick orchards.

We’ve had a few instances where peaches were planted out of picking order. Either the peach trees were mislabeled upon receiving, or the charts were wrong. In addition to the aforementioned consequences of planting the peaches out of order, we’ve actually forgotten about some peaches out of order, and the peaches rotted and fell to the ground because we completely forgot about them, during their harvest window.

In the past, I’ve seen quite a few charts list Reliance before Redhaven. I suppose there is a very small possibility that in some climates that’s the case. But the more probable explanation is that someone made an error on a chart, and the error is simply copied from one website to the next.

Here is a chart from Maine, which shows Reliance ripening considerably before Redhaven.

Here’s one from Mizzou which shows Reliance ripening +5 (Redhaven), which is my experience.

1 Like

Reliance is only +7 for me, but I let them hang longer than most people. Redhaven is among the early peaches and pick early because I’m just too impatient to start into the peach season. >_<

Reliance before Redhaven. I could see it if you picked early or trees were stressed. Short of a separate greenhouses on the same site, I’m not sure how JulyPrince would come before Reliance though. Seems too far out. I assume that arose from one of those copy errors you’re discussing.

To get back to the original question about blossoms, it could very well be Reliance since the fruit characteristics match. There is something weird about plants, some of them at least, in that sometimes one branch will have different characteristics, like varigation. They are called “Sports”. I have a Dorsett Golden apple I am told is an early ripening sport of Golden Delicious. I also have a Cara Cara Navel orange (pink inside) that originated as a single branch of a navel orange tree in Venezuela. Every Cara Cara Navel orange tree in the world is the result of grafts, directly or indirectly, from that branch on that tree.

It could be that your tree originated as a graft from a ‘sport’ of Reliance. Just a thought.

2 Likes