What Pears will you grow this year?

The only pear variety I’m adding this year is Okolo. Unless some of my grafted pears start taking off soon, I may be done grafting/growing pears. They grow so slowwwwwwllllllyyyy here that I’m wondering if they’ll produce any fruit before I kick the bucket.

3 Likes

@Barkslip

The ones resistant to rust are
Harrow Sweet
Comtesse Clara Frijs
Harrow Delight
Warren
Potomac
Asian pears are not particularly resistant to rust.
@smsmith
I agree that pears take a long time typically to produce but from Dax’s list the 2 following pears produce good quality pears in just 1-3 YEARS.
Harrow Sweet
Harrow Delight

2 Likes

I haven’t tried either Harrow Sweet or Harrow Delight, I wonder if they’re zone 3b/4a hardy?

1 Like

Harrow sweet & Harrow Delight are hardy zone 4-8

1 Like

May be worth a shot. After this winter, I’m leaning towards not trying any fruit that aren’t rated to zone 3 (or lower)

1 Like

@smsmith
Yes your always a little better off figuring on worse case scenario when it comes to pear trees. Many of the trees i planted early on were zone 4 when i was zone 5b and most are still growing strong. Glad we were upgraded to 6a now that we are warmer because pears such as abate fetel are now within my reach to grow. Hopefully your zone gets an upgrade someday. Many of my pears that now produce fruit taught me a long lesson in patience Here comes the 2016 apple and Pear harvest!
Here comes the 2018 apple & pear harvest!
I only hope a few of these new ones will be equally as good or better than the ones i grow now. The first pears i grew were harder to wait for because at the time i had no pears to eat while waiting. Now i have the luxury of already having sweet pear fruits to eat.

1 Like

This years grafts will be Hudar, Gifford, and Flemish Beauty - and hoping for the best for hardiness. Plus another Patten because my main 2017 graft died last year. Two hard winters in a row now and I’m getting shy of anything not known to be hardy in Alberta! There just aren’t many of those (that we can get here). Oh well, that doesn’t stop me from looking at the Harrow’s every year and wondering - might they survive? Like Stu, the slowness of growth keeps me from adding too many more. Sue

4 Likes

Just planted a dixie delight pear. Other ones i have are warren, ayers, golden boy, southern bartlett, pinapple, tyson. No fruit yet. S bartlett has a few blooms right now. Golden boy and pinapple leafing out but no flowers. Everything else is asleep still.

2 Likes

@barry
That sounds like a great collection of pears!

Let me know how your Flemish Beauty does for you. I had one here that didn’t make it through the winter of '13-'14…that was a wicked winter and the tree was young.

1 Like

Added Shenandoah, Potomac, Harrow Delight. Anyone know a rough order for bloom times on these?

5 Likes

I just ordered a Korean Giant.

2 Likes

Bill, I used two resources to put this together. Potomac isn’t known from them and I looked up Shenandoah on both and it’s not listed, but, Harrow Delight is on my chart if you will:

Dax

10 Likes

Wow. Thanks for the extra effort.

2 Likes

Absolutely!

2 Likes

My latest to bloom are Harrow Sweet and Korean Giant. Looks like Harrow Delight will bloom about the same time. I will have to wait a year to see about the other two.

3 Likes

I had been looking for singo for a long time. Singo is a very popular asian pear, which is widely sold in oriental stores/supermarkets. According to my research from website, singo is from a selected seedlings of Niitake seeds. It is similar with Niitake in somewhat, but may get some genes from cross-pollination.

1 Like

We just planted monglow, Keifer and pineapple pears. It’s our first time and we dug huge holes as we learned our clay soil with smaller holes with was likely the cause of poor growth on our peach. We also watched some Dave Wilson nursery videos and thought we didn’t need more than 3 feet between the trees. We’ve been told otherwise since, so fingers crossed.

3 Likes

Did you buy trees or just grafting some scions? I’m interested in how both these turn out in the future as I haven’t heard a lot of reviews on them, but they sound like intriguing varieties.

1 Like

In case anyone has missed this thread. Potomac is a large tasty pears. I like almost of of the Euro pears on the thread I linked here.

Pictures of some European pears for you - #29 by MaureeninMaine.

4 Likes