What scions will you graft in 2017?

@NuttingBumpus I love the idea of “farming out” your trees! I may try that with my neighbors. Helps with pollination, and then when they get bumper crops they share :heart_eyes:

Lizzy, thanks. Farming out some trees may get a bit more extreme, since two cvs. I tried cannot do well here. One doesn’t like near-desert summer (Lord Lambourne) and the other (Sturmer Pippin) the soil deficient in calcium. I hope to find them a home with a friend on the soggy side of the Cascades.

Then I’d “have to” come by at least once a year to summer prune or harvest or…?

But, yes, placing the red-fleshed apples across the corners will give neighbors first-hand experience in growing their own food and reasons to use 'em.

Last fall I gave some of my apples to a neighbor farther down the street. His wife turned to him, “What do I do with them?” It was clear she had never before made her own pie or crisp. These two are a generation younger than I, and this illustrates part of my motivation to grow and share fruit.

1 Like

Oh my gosh, that is so sad! Glad she will now have the experience of an abundance of homegrown fruit! Even if that abundance is just one bag of apples for now.

Lizzy: one of my goals is to eat my own fruit all year 'round. Winekist pushed the envelope for early apples in this region of incredibly high chill hours (about 2050.) Hunt and Keepsake should keep in cellar until May or June. Then the cherry, raspberries, blue berries and currants.

I may have to give baking lessons to the locals. After all, they have children. (Cherry and cream pie! North Star and Morello are a revelation in that guise.)

Markalbob: I am no authority on Russian, but found this spelling pretty consistent and have adopted is as standard practice: Niedzwetzkyana.
You probably already know it is one parent of most red-fleshed apples, and appears to be a separate apple species. It is thought to be one parent of Surprise. Albert Etter used Surprise to breed most or all of his red-fleshed apples, which would make Niedzwetzkyana a grandparent of those cvs. (I need the practice, too, and it is transliterated from Cyrillic.)

Generally, when one writes a Latin binomial, italics are used, so I’ll give it a try:_ Malus niedzwetzkyana_.

It took me a while to wrap my mind around this species name - have sung Russian, but do not speak it. It is the parent of most, if not all, first crosses to make red-fleshed apples, including the British Surprise which came into existence in the nineteenth century (before 1850?) and used to create Redfield (with Wolf River, 1938) and probably Winekist.
Anyone find info about the parentage of Winekist? It was bred in Brookings, SD by 1949, but I’ve never seen parentage listed.

This might be the first case in which I reply twice to a post - without looking at the end of the thread! Redundancy of redundancies!

It was discovered by a Polish naturalist named Vladislav Niedzwiecky and is named after him. At the time, Poland was divided into three parts between Prussia, Austrian Empire, and Russian Empire, and Niedzwiecky lived in Russia. He either settled in or by some accounts was exiled to what is now Almaty, Kazakhstan. As we know now, this area is where many Malus species have originated.

2 Likes

I don’t think I’ll bother grafting any peaches or nects next year. But I think I’ll try to graft a few apples like Pitmaston Pineapple, Frostbite, Blenheim Orange, and maybe Reine des Reinettes.

2 Likes

Sure am glad he did, and that that tree has contributed what it has already. I can’t help but think we have yet to find the best combination of crossing with Malus niedzwetzkyana.

1 Like

What do you mean, no italics? :grinning:

Just put a _ before and a _ after and you will get italics: typing _this_ produces this. Put ** instead and you will get bold.

4 Likes

I can get italics by using a single asterisk before and after my post.

Just like this.

And then two asterisks for bold.

Like this.

I wonder if you can go for the trifecta and use *** to get bold and italics together.

Let’s see if it works.

ETA: It does!

It might be easier for people to remember how to do all this just using asterisks.

1 Like

Thanks for the lesson.

@fruitgrower

Eldorado continues to do well here I have several smaller trees and the fruit is good.

1 Like

Thats great @clarkinks , it has a nice bloom as well.

1 Like

meant to ask in the past, have you been able to taste Crow Egg? If so, is it good?

Yes, I had several people tasting apples this fall in my orchard and they all remarked on how good the Crow Egg tasted.

1 Like