What to do with seeded grapes

I have been using grapeseed oil for about 15 years now. I like it because I can get it hotter than olive oil, and that comes in handy a lot in my cooking. I use so little I’m not concerned about nutritional value. A bottle lasts about 6 months for me.

My dad grew a seeded grape for 30 years. When he passed I cut the vine down. Thinking of using it as a rootstock. The vine is so healthy compared to others I have grown. For now I just trim it back every year. Twice now grafts have failed.

2 Likes

No suggestions, alas, never made wine myself - just snuck down into the cellar and tippled

Mix the grape juice back in with the wine. A little alcohol goes a long ways. Concords are not a wine grape rather a jelly and juice grape.

basically and explained fast grape processes are as follows:

1 once we esprimimos grape juice we have grape juice, this juice does not contain alcohol and can be drunk by children like orange juice.
but it is an important precaution, once we squeeze our grapes have to keep the juice in cans and frozen to prevent the juice to ferment and become wine with alcohol.

2 if we get some wine, then we must leave our grape juice out of the fridge and uncapped the bottle, in a few days the juice is attacked by bacteria and ferments and we have wine.

3if we want a little vinegar to flavor foods, we must first make wine and then we leave that open wine for that attack bacteria and then a second wine becomes bitter and becomes vinegar … … certainly they say that vinegar that makes oneself is much better than we buy in a store

4 there is another option, with the grapes, make grape juice, then turn it into wine and wine later we turned it into a good cognac, but do not know how cognac is made

5 Well just remembered another option, you can make raisin grapes, especially with seedless grapes, you can dehydrate the grapes and eat them like raisins in autumn and winter

3 Likes

If you do make vinegar remember never make vinegar and wine in the same building or you will wind up with all vinegar and no wine. It’s illegal to make anything stronger than wine here without a permit. That permit is not easy to get.

One of my customers at the market has been buying lots of our Concords every week. I asked her what she did with them, and she said she made gummies out of them. I’m assuming she meant fruit leather, but I could be wrong. She used her oven, but a dehydrator comes with a screen for making fruit leather. Anyway, it piqued my interest. I imagine your grapes would make an excellent dried product. It might be a lot of work though, but I seriously doubt any harder than making wine or canning jelly or juice.

3 Likes

Bob,
This is the second smaller batch of Concords and Catawba this year. There is likely to be a 3rd, 4th, and 5th batch this year. They are ripening up very unevenly this year. Part of the problem is that I allowed additional shade to grow in some of the areas where I grow them. My mom wanted this batch for juice. She looks forward to it every year. I should not have given these cow manure and wood chips a few years ago because they don’t care for fertilizer of any type. I’m getting to much leaf growth and it’s shading the grape bunches.

2 Likes

I had this same issue with my seedless grapes and it was infuriating. They would ripen gradually, and something (raccoons, birds, wasps, etc) would eat them a few at a time. There was never a ripe bunch to pick.

Maybe I needed to thin the grapes more- several of the vines had very heavy sets and while I thinned (maybe half), it probably wasn’t enough.

Fruit leather sounds like big flat raisins. But, grapes made into gummy bears would be tasty :slight_smile:

Yes some of them weren’t fully ripe. But, as you said, once the wasps started going at them I figured that they were as ripe as they were going to get… I left a few bunches on where they were obviously un-ripe, but I’m not holding out a lot of hope.

I’m thinking that next year, I should use paper bags, after heavily thinning. That should make them bigger, ripen more evenly, and protect against birds and wasps. I’m also working on the coon problem.

Twice is nothing Drew- I’ve failed more than 60 times :blush:

Grafting grapes has been very hard for me. Even tougher than peach, and that is saying something. I did finally have a single success recently. Still, 1 in 60+ isn’t great and there was a recent thread where Clark posted this docuement on TBudding, which I may give a try. It does call for maintaining a bud in dormant condition for quite a while though.

http://ucce.ucdavis.edu/files/repositoryfiles/ca3107p4-63301.pdf

2 Likes

@Drew51, I agree with @BobVance, two is nothing.
I have a grape vine for about 10 years that never bear any fruit. I have been trying to graft other grape to it for 5 years. I start with cleft graft in the early spring, then green on green graft all the way through summer.

I finally have 2 graft take this year. The two successful one are very tender bud graft to a very tender root stock branch. Basically follow this YouTube :https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iWs48z-UPkQ
Don’t know how many I grafted in total, but the success rate is pretty pathetic for sure😊

3 Likes

Thanks guys, OK, I’ll keep trying!

2 Likes

Could someone tell me what makes an expensive juicer better than a cheap one? Is it just construction and material?

1 Like

I think so! My daughter bought me a Ninja Brand smoothie maker. At first I thought well I could make smoothies in my blender too, but this thing is unreal!! My blender is a Pinto and the Ninja is a Mustang Sho! If it didn’t have suction cups it would fly off the counter. It shakes the whole counter it spins so fast! OMG! It absolutely needs suction cups, I have never seen anything like this Ninja. I love this thing!

1 Like

Just made a smoothie last night. Everything out of the garden. I have a bullet and they are very fast.

3 Likes

Our table grapes make sickly sweet juice. Gave that up years ago but am liking the blend seeds and all strategy. use the Vitamix and icecube tray for later smoothies. Now…to share what we do with step number 4 listed above: we press our table grapes, stems, seeds, and all and strain them into carboys. We add a packet of brewing yeast, cork it with airlocks, and then let them sit for a month [or a year when lazy] in our cold room. When we’re ready, we run the still and turn our fermented juice into hooch, pisco, grape brandy or whatever you want to call it. We get about 130 proof and have to proof it down to 40 or so with spring or well water . It’s a lot of fun. If I can attach a video of the fun, I’ll do so. I also take last year’s unconsumed berry’s from the freezer, cover them in Everclear or cheap vodka, and let them sit covered for 5 years. The resulting dessert brew is smooth and delicious and a real conversation piece at parties. I have been doing this for years with raspberries, cherries, and blackberries. I imagine that any fruit would do.

1 Like

“I have been thinking of grafting some better grape variety, but not sure where to find the scion.”
@Sara_in_philly
I also make grape pies from my seeded concords. I dont have as much trouble with concords with birds or wasps as I do with my reliance grapes. I have to net any seedless, smaller type grapes.
I am starting to change over my regular Concords with the early Concords (Fredonia). They taste pretty much the same to me and are seemingly less prone to the susceptibilities of Concords. And are bigger with more juice and seems harvest time is much longer…grapes stay better and longer on vine

My seedless concord produces small grapes, small clusters, and they ripen slowly, just a few at a time.

I suppose it needs something more than compost and organic fertilizer and mulch… and proper pruning…

I have been blessed ??? with it simply ripening just enough for me to eat fresh for about a month or so… I have 2-3 clusters left, 30-35 grapes… cherish each one.

I have never had the problem that you have (too many grapes)… but if I ever do…

I ordered a Roma Food Mill (Strainer) this week, it has shipped… I got the extra’s kit which includes a grape seed filter… so I could hopefully make some grape jam.

I have lots of muscadines this year… hoping that one of those filters works on those… and I have lots of persimmons ripening… hopefully this Roma Food Mill/Strainer works out with processing some of those and tomatoes next year.

TNHunter