What unusual vegetables should I grow that I've never heard of?

It was not worth while .
Sowed seed in several different plots .
Some early , some later.
Not much to harvest . Disappointed.
This is a typical plant, from my efforts. About 4ft.
They bloomed well before frost , nice blue flowers .
Set seed , just not a lot there .
Not worth my time / effort.
May try again . Not recommended at this point .
Maybe it will do better another year / place ?
Thanks for asking.
I believe it’s as important to report our failures as our success.
This was not a success for me this year.

6 Likes

Thanks for the update. Maybe when the day comes that I do not have enough frustration in my life I will give it a go! :smiley:

1 Like

Sesame
The sesame strain from Monticello did good again this year.
About a gallon of cleaned seed from maybe 24 plants .
Easy and good !
Each year I think I should grow more of it , and maybe I will .

4 Likes

I bought some Monticello Sesame last year and never ended up planting them, what do you think the odds are that they will germinate this year? That yield is really impressive!

1 Like

You will find out if you sow it.

Sesame … Monticello strain
I think , from my experience, 2-3 year old seed will sprout .
After that it’s iffey. ?
For best results start early as transnplants ,Same as tomatoes.
Or, If direct sown, at the first warm soil, frost free Opportunity.,
May , here in West Virginia, but sometimes germination is poor if it’s cool.
If planted to late they will not mature in time.
Other , southern strains have not matured here.
Deer do NOT bother sesame plants here. A big plus.
Harvest before frost, when the first lower pods open.
( open sesame. :grinning:)
Keep upright, covered until dry in shocks or inside .until all the pods open.
Turn upside down on a tarp, barrel ,etc. the seeds pour out .
Easy. Good.Nutrition, high oil . A condiment or staple crop.
Fun , recommended.

4 Likes

I got a Hosta plant today for the spears (are the leaves also eaten?). I also got some Fish Mint (Hottuynia cordata), and after smelling it out of the package… mistakes were made! :sweat_smile: It doesn’t smell like cooked fish, but like raw fish (“Pescao abombao” as my mama calls it). Still, I’m highly intrigued! Does anyone know how to cook with it for best flavor?

1 Like

Yeah it smells like unpleasant fish, right before rotten. In general the white roots are eaten

2 Likes

To me…edible if you don’t have a sense of smell. :slight_smile:

Hi Annie, So are the roots eaten raw or cooked? I was told that the leaves were good in Spring rolls. I have a bunch of these in pots. Need to figure out what to do with them! Thanks, Dan

Those big long white roots and young greens both were eaten raw and cooked depends on your taste, most people prefer eating raw for its crunchy texture. I had Vietnamese style spring roll / salad uses a little bit leaves for added spicy. This herb is in similar situation as Duran, some addict to it, can’t get enough of it, and some can’t stand it. I have it growing in my yard but I had never used it as veggie besides had it in restaurants in small quantity as a spice. I believe it is safe to consume in smaller quantity. But its toxicity to human body still unknown if consumed in large quantities.

Fish mint - didn’t know this existed. Just bought some seeds on Etsy. Because I need more plants like a hole in my head.

2 Likes

Be careful with Houttuynia, it is extremely invasive and really hard to eradicate.

2 Likes

I planted the last of my caucasian spinach seeds a few weeks back. Noticed that there are about 20 seedlings (no true leaves yet) in the pot…

Now I’ve got to find a place to plant it (There is a distinct lack of vine space left in my yard at this point.

Anyone have suggestions on what kind of siting this plant should have? I’m likely at a warmer zone for it, so protection won’t be necessary in the least.

Scott

Cyclanthera pedata

Pereskia aculeata

1 Like

Salsify (Tragopogon porrifolius). A common ‘weed’ in my area. Tasty.

5 Likes

We have Tragopogon dubius here in KS. I thought I should dig some and give it a try, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

1 Like

I love them! :yum:

Cyclanthera pedata

Pereskia aculeata

3 Likes

Hi. That’s awesome. Are used to live in Glen Burnie for a few years, I love the soil I had too…it was Sandy loam and the climate indeed was much warmer than surrounding areas. I moved to Ellicott city in 2007, and it is 1/2 USDA zone colder.:confused:

Im. growing the more hearty Camelia Senensis like Sochi, too.
I even purchased a yuapon,To create a hybrid drink that boosts caffeine with without making it more bitter. Supercharged tea that gives you the punch of coffee.:smiley:What kind of Laurel is it that you thought died over the winter but did not actually die.? And you mentioned ginger. Are you saying it’s possible to overwinter ginger raisins in the garage and then plant them in the spring?

3 Likes

I’m growing now cucamelon (Melothria scabra)

7 Likes