What unusual vegetables should I grow that I've never heard of?

Ground cherries are often best afterfalling to the ground and the husk drying. So they are better as container plants where you can pick fruit off the deck, or mulched w straw or something–otherwise any rain and all the husks are covered in splashed grit when grown on bare soil

That happened to me with a fig. I cut it open and there was an army worm in it. I often eat fruit with a knife. I had 2 cherries today and ate them that way.

Yes they do require cross pollination for good fruit set. They also have a lot of blooms early that don’t set so that is not unusual either. The flowers likely switch from female to male as they mature.

should bear some pods to maturity before autumn. Actually best to harvest the green pods before they mature, to encourage further production. You can cook them like you would green beans or snow peas.

have 4 seeds left which don’t need. Will send them asap :slight_smile:

I ordered some and received them yesterday. Just wondered whether to plant or hold til next year. Thanks for the offer!!! My e. Spinach is up and growing

K8

you could plant several now, and save some of the seeds for next year. If for any reason they don’t produce as much this late, or get eaten by Murphy :wink:
i actually think they might do better there in dfw since it is a native of tropical new guinea, so will benefit from your higher humidity than they would in the desert.

btw, our winged bean seeds are more than two years old and are still viable, with good sprouting rates

2 Likes

I found one yesterday at my local nursery produced by La Verne Nursery. I grow my veggies in galvanized steel troughs and one had clearly become too infected by verticillium over the past few years for even my grafted eggplants to grow; so I replaced the soil and the nursery was out of eggplant and I thought what the heck, might as well try something different.

2 Likes

Daylily flowers buds very tasty but not all of them are edible. It’s might causes diarrhea badly. Citrina, fulva family… and some of pure yellow flower daylilies safer to eat.

1 Like

Our edible daylilies flowers.

5 Likes

Our none edible daylilies

4 Likes

Daikon, goya.

1 Like

I didn’t know that there were nonedible day lillies. How do you know which it is once you venture outside the standard orange type?

3 Likes

Standard forager advice is to not eat the non-regular orange ones. Beyond that, most experts are reluctant to give guidelines since little research is done on the edibility of hybrid daylilies.
I can’t eat my way through the ordinary ones in my yard, so haven’t tried any fancy ones.

5 Likes

I love to eat fresh daylilies flowers buds, but that was my real experience some of them (may be the hybrid fancy ones) cause stomach really sick. so I have to buy the food edible daylilies to plant or eat any single variety with a small amount to recognize it is safe to eat. Still learning. Asian markets selling dried daylily to eat for years. I tried to order seeds from them to plant but not successfull.

3 Likes

I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add to it. I was surprised at how many of the things mentioned that we grow. Most people here have never heard of any of them.

I am not sure about where you are, but skirret is unheard of over here. It is the best roasted vegetable I have ever eaten. Everyone who tries it loves it. Super easy to grow and perennial.

5 Likes

Good to know can you share your preparation technique? I have a pot or skirret and I dont know how to prepare it.

You can eat skirret raw, and it is ok, but it is best roasted. I am sure there are plenty of other ways to eat it, but I am yet to try them.

After a few frosts all the top dies down and the roots are sweetest. I dig up a few roots, I scrub the soil off, cut them into ~2 inch lengths, and pop them in with whatever other vegetables I am roasting. Being smaller than the other vegetables I normally put them in half way through, when I am turning the potatoes and pumpkin and whatever else I am roasting. A little bit of oil and salt is nice with skirret.

Skirret roots do not store well, so I dig up whatever I am cooking that night and leave the rest attached to the plant and put it back under the soil. If you happen to not use it all, those roots grow fatter the following year. I love skirret, more people should grow it.

3 Likes

American GroundNut Its a root vegitable. It has been in the ground for 3 years. The vines look really healthy I suspect its ready to harvest. Does anyone else grow this any tips? I was planning to wait till the vines die back naturally.

5 Likes

@lordkiwi
Yes ,I grow groundnuts
Excellent flavor stir fried.!
Can be invasive.
Best in sandy soil .for harvesting
Dig in fall after frost

2 Likes

Wondering if ground rodents/voles go for this.