What Was Your Biggest Mistake Starting Out Growing Fruit?

Too bad about the Bing Cherry. That is a rather high-chill cherry (700 hrs). OK you made me look more carefully at the “low-chill” varieties. I guess I meant the ones touted as low-chill, usually stone fruits around 100 - 300 hrs. Chill hours for me are usually >800 hrs. I see you are in Sac…they have roughly 700 - 800 hrs. My best varieties are 300 - 850 hrs. Of course figs and persimmons are not part of the conversation.

1 Like

Which ones have been failures for you? I moved to a new house 2 years ago (same zone) and have planted as many trees as I can fit at any given year, and they’re all low chill varieties ~200-500. So you stating you’ve had bad experience with such, it makes me a bit nervous.

Zone does not equate with chill hours. Zone is a very broad characteristic, while chill hours can vary significantly depending on local conditions. Where I’m in Tracy we are in zone 9b and used to have 900-1000 chill hours a few years back, but in the last couple of years it was between 650 and 750. Also, chill hours themselves are just a rough approximation of chilling requirements. Chilling portions in the dynamic model are considered to be a more accurate measure of what trees need. Finally, cherry trees are much more particular about their chilling requirements than most other fruit tree varieties.

1 Like

Off the top of my head I remember Royal Crimson Cherry, and Desert Delight and Desert Dawn nectarines as being disappointing.

Planted a Royal Crimson in February. It seems to be doing just fine in terms of growth but it has massive bacterial cancers on it that I just removed. I assume you’re referring to production, so that coupled with the cankers, this variety has me perplexed. I’m going to let it go for another year to see what happens. I did buy another one last week that will come in January top replace it in case it dies, but on a different root stock to see if that works better.

Misunderstanding the fact that while Avocado trees need lots of sun, they also need plenty of shade when young. I killed 4-5 young trees by planing in fun sun, then trying to save by over watering.

I finally figured out that they need plenty of shade with only dappled light for the 1st 3-4 years. I now have 4 trees that are doing well.

4 Likes

The first year on the Royal Crimson the new growth was attacked by something…it grew about 8 inches. Next year it lacked the crud but grew a whopping 6 inches. Pulled it out.

I’m curious – how did you provide shade for the 1st 3-4 years? Is white washing the trunk of the tree enough protection from direct sunlight? I’m hoping to plant a phoenix in March.

Not sure about their method but I know some people plant a vigorous-but-easy-to-kill shade tree just south of the avocado and then remove that tree in a few years. E.g, this recommendation from a grower in north-central FL:

1 Like

Ah – that’s an interesting idea…

My biggest mistake - and probably the funnest - has always been trying to grow plants that really don’t grow well, ‘historically’, in my area. Hence . . . . . I have 28 pomegranate trees! LOL
'Have had more than my share of deceased cherry trees. Replaced many stone fruit trees. Basically - nothing grows here easily - without spray of some sort. Too humid. Winters aren’t quite cold enough or long enough to kill insects sufficiently. And I could go on . . . .
Except for earthquakes and taxes - I wish I lived in CA. :laughing:

16 Likes

I planted my trees in areas that already had partial shade, then was able to trim back or take down the shade providing plants. I also whitewashed the trunk and provided lots of mulch. so far so good in a not great Avocado zone.

2 Likes

Did you also mound the soil around your avocado, or did you place it into a raised bed? I’m in an area with lots of clay (non-draining) soil, and from what I’ve read, avocados aren’t fans of poorly draining soil.

I tried to just plant trees and be very hands off. I imagined them thriving naturally after I abandoned them to an alien environment.

4 Likes

My biggest mistake was not doing better soil preparation.

1 Like

My biggest mistake, at least that stands out to me now, is failing to provide adequate nitrogen. I think I overreacted to cautions against using too much.

1 Like

Do you mean in the first few years of trees age, or even after they got established?

1 Like

@Ahmad Both.

I have Feijoas that have probably been in the ground 7 or 8 years and put on more growth in 2020 than the previous 5 years combined.

The one that grew most vigorously of the 3 got a minor aphid issue towards the end of the season, but otherwise they seem much happier to have gotten the nitrogen. Got probably 2 feet of growth rather than 2 inches.

4 Likes

I planted my first 10 apple trees 13 years ago on mm111 rootstock. I will not use that rootstock again as management is time consuming. I have since used mm106 and m26. This year will be g890

I wasted a lot of time with Apricot and Peach trees.
Of all the Stone fruits
they are the most poorly suited to our
cool, maritime climate
Bloom too early
Prefer dry weather
Prone to fungus diseases.
Plums are far better.

7 Likes