What's best for white washing peach tree trunks?

Order the FedcoTrees catalog, that will have the recipe plus give you all kinds of other info tidbits for winter reading. The instructions I gave are pretty close to verbatim…

I downloaded the Fedco catalog, searched for “latex” and there it was…but no mention of mayonnaise. The real bonus was the recipe for a borer formula using quick lime, milk, and boiled linseed oil. Also the idea of using a can of compressed air and blowing up into a borer hole.

Thanks for mentioning the catalog…

John

Jesse just meant he mixed the materials to the consistency of mayonnaise I think.

1 Like

Latex? Mayonnaise? Are we still talking fruit trees here? :laughing:

1 Like

lol…that’s funny suff…maybe we need to add one of those “I’m 18 or older” messages before logging in.

Appleseed, I just noticed your mention of using sand with the latex paint. Have you actually tried that, or were you just speculating. Do you think a borer larva would have trouble moving over sand, or does the borer hatch and then just dig right in. If the idea works, you could wrap sandpaper around the trunk and perhaps the adults wouldn’t land on the sandpaper to lay their eggs.

BTW, mayonnaise is a unique word in the world of fruit tree growing so that was the first search term I used when I was on the Fedco Trees website. and then in the Fedco catalog. Especially since “the instructions I gave are pretty close to verbatim…”.

I bought some cheap interior latex paint at HD (Glidden Speedwall white base…$10/gal) and it didn’t include any mildewcides. I mixed it straight with joint compound and if you add enough compound it makes a nice thick covering. I haven’t used mayonnaise for many years so I tried to make the mix to where it wouldn’t run down the trunk but still had a loose consistency.

Are you a vegan?

2 Likes