What's happening today 2016?

I have some old pantyhose, and each melon gets 2 trellis clips on each side of it attached the trellis itself, I tested each line at about 50lbs before they start to sag. Crossing my fingers and hoping first the best. Vines are approaching 8 feet, gonna loop them back over themselves at some point.

First time Watermelon Grower, Long time Watermelon Eater

On the opposite end of that trellis are Petite Gris melons from Baker Creek, they are at about the peanut M&M size right now

1 Like

Last year I experimented allowing the butternut squash vines to climb up and over the tomato cages to see if the fruit would hold on and not suffer quality. They seemed to do better and look better than the ones on the ground (which would have discoloration or soft spots, mold, insect/slug damage, or, all of the above) - even the ones I would put up on pie plates, etc. So this year I built a trellis. On the right is the trellis and on the left are the sweet potatoes growing up and over cages. (All siurrounded by the requisite bunny wire)

These climbing structures use much less garden space, thus less to cultivate and weed. They do require tending to encourage climbing - but not much.

6 Likes

Them bunnies can make one want to put stuff high up out of reach!

I removed untold number of rabbits… its like it didn’t make a dent in them…the stupid things even come out in the middle of the day when its 90F to feed under the picnic table in the shade! Everything is going to need to be protected going into winter/even late fall they’ll start to chew on trees.

I keep saying - Where’s the coyote when you need him?

I miss my rabbit-slaying tabby cat

5 posts were split to a new topic: Bacterial Spot in Peaches

Nice, big Anna Apple.

12 Likes

My one producing peach tree was stripped bare this morning, even the green ones. Guess the squirrels found it. It got a severe hair cut to redirect some growth, as it also serves the purpose of keeping the dogs from running into the corner to bark at the neighbors.

Still no rain. My lawns look like giant waffles!

4 Likes

Thank you. I always get hung up when they ask what organization you are with. Then state that material is available for research only, not private gardening.

If the forum will allow I will pm, you

It seems like I’m usually complaining about one of the many challenges that come with fruit growing at my place, so I wanted to post a happy photo! This is my J.H. Hale peach tree. Its on its 4th leaf and is absolutely loaded with peaches. I know you may be thinking I should have thinned more- and maybe I should have- but these peaches are very, very large and the tree seems to be handling them, so I am happy with it.

Also, its worth noting that even though there are 3 other peach trees within 20 feet of this one that have heavy bacteria spot, this one has no trace of it. So if have have a lot of trouble with BS at your place, you might consider this variety. Peaches are large and taste incredible. One of my favorite trees!

12 Likes

I’m surprised to see 2 blooming magnolia flowers in middle of summer! Something is off-cycle here!

2 Likes

I did my summer prune last weekend. This is what I have left of the 3 Asian pear trees and a multi-grafted pluots. Just about 1’ (maybe 2’) above the 6’ fence line…

4 Likes

I did the aprium and cherry last week - next up are the cots and methley plum

Big heaps of branches cut off, just like the photo

Already sent off budwood sticks from the cots [alas, no Fuji apple among the trades], but still more cutting required

1 Like

Nature’s beauty presented as a summer surprise. Mid to late July is not when I expect to see mushrooms showing off their caps. These were growing from the potting mixture and mulch in a container holding citrus. It was very late evening when I caught these shots. The flash and background washes out much of the very yellow coloring.

I was fortunate to catch these during the short time they displayed the delicate design and coloration of their parasols. Just a few hours earlier they had the appearance of imitating a size competition in the boys’ lav. By morning, they had aged and crumpled, their above ground duties completed and resources for that act exhausted.

8 Likes

Muddy,

It must be beautiful to see in person! I got a hint of its emitting florescent yellow from the parasol in shade. A close-up shot would have disclosed its captivating structure…

Is it poisonous?

Tom

1 Like

Most likely. I didn’t taste to find out. :wink: Actually, I didn’t even touch them in order not to harm their delicate structure.

If you want to examine the ridges, dots, and composition more closely, just click on pic and then click on the pop-up. The choice is whether to focus on the minute details, or the curve, balance, and eye appeal of the whole. Beautiful either way, IMO.

Muddy that second picture is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. Bill

1 Like

Muddy, those little guys are right out of Fantasia!

1 Like