What's happening today 2016?

Just in case,right after doing a graft,I write the name on either the scion or connecting branch with a small diameter felt type pen,that lasts longer than a Sharpie.It’s called an IDentiPen by Sakura Color Products and has two tips,a fine and an extra fine. Brady

2 Likes

It’s shuffle time here. I lugged most of my trees back outdoors at the beginning of last week. Tomorrow I bring a few of the most tender back inside and finish bringing in the rest in for the projected 30 degree Friday night. Then they get to go back out for another week before commuting back indoors next Friday.

It was a sunny and warm Christmas Day here. The two weeks of chill, rain and gloomy skies that hung around after the beginning of December had been wearing my spirits down. I start counting down the end of winter before the leaves create their full autumn glow.

4 Likes

Hey Muddy, So how many trees are we talking about here? Are there any steps involved? And what is the distance you haul them?
I only used to pull in one. Now someone has given me 3 citrus in addition to the 2 I got this last summer. I’m thinking you are talking about a bunch more than that.
And take heart…the days ARE getting longer…and it’s almost time to start onions. :blush:

1 Like

I’ve left most of the plants in the house for 2 reasons. One is because if I took them all out I’m afraid I’d forget where I tucked some, and wind up kicking myself if I accidentally left them out. The other is because it’s just too many to handle on a sometimes short notice.So, it’s only trees that I’ve been shuffling back and forth. There are around 30 or so doing the commute this year. Mostly citrus.

They don’t go too far in winter. Just from my living room and kitchen to the back deck. Once that’s full, the rest go down by the pool area. My back starts complaining long before I’m done, though.

1 Like

My Greengage tree died soon after planting earlier this year. I’m not sure it was ever alive. Oh, well; you win some; you lose some.

I am tired of waiting for my first taste of Greengage, so… look what I ordered today!

6 Likes

Yesterday i was listening to the Davis Garden Show, and Don Shorr, said he was pulling his Greengage, he didn’t like it. Don Shorr is cool to listen to as he is a Hort. Nerd, Don can not only pronounce every Latin/Greek plant name, he can spell them too.

Isn’t greengage a group of varieties? All are bad?

How many jars?

No all are not bad. The European gage varieties are so sweet and delicious. They are very slow to grow and produce fruit, however.

I ordered just one jar.

I think they probably are all good! Don Shorr, didn’t think so, but I’m not Don Shorr.[quote=“Matt_in_Maryland, post:2494, topic:3762, full:true”]
I ordered just one jar.
[/quote]

Cool let us know what you think. And try to get a replacement tree, if it died, they should replace it.

1 Like

I would recommend a Reine de Mirabelles if you want to taste the delicious Gage-ness in your own yard. It has been much easier to grow for me, even if it also takes a very long time to fruit. It is a Mirabelle-Gage hybrid supposedly and tastes exactly like a Gage (and not a Mirabelle) to me. The pure Gages all are super highly prone to bugs and rots.

Since it’s a new year, maybe it’s time to start a “what’s happenin’ today 2017” thread? This one’s getting a wee bit unwieldy…

Still can’t believe it’s 2017 already, it was quite an eventful '16…

3 Likes

Reine is on my hit list.

In the meantime, I already have Bavay, Pearl and Coe’s.

I plan to acquire a tree of Golden Trans this spring.

I’ve had many failed attempts at grafting gages. My only long-term successful euro plum graft is a Mirabelle de Nancy saddled onto Coe’s/ Marianna.

None of my plums have fruited yet. My Bavay is on Citation which I hope will speed up the process…

The problem I have with Greengage and Coes, is that they aren’t very productive. With Greengage, a full sized tree won’t produce a 1/2 bushel of fruit, in my locale.

The fruit is sweet and delicious though.

You guys are posting in 2017 on a thread that’s about 2016. I think we need to make a new thread?

1 Like

Good point! We will close this one soon, somebody needs to kick off 2017!

1 Like

Done!

Great! For the record:

This thread is closed, head over to the new one above for 2017.