What's happening today 2016?

I had a few minutes today to take some pics of the garden hope theres not to many…

[URL=http://s117.photobucket.com/user/thepodpiper/media/DSCN2013_zpsanqwg0ti.jpg.html]

[/URL]

8 Likes

8 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

That is one heck of a beautiful garden. You put a lot of work in that, i can tell. I bet you are busy in that garden all through the year. You have your very own slice of Heavan! Congratulations for a job well done.

1 Like

What trees are those espaliers?

Lois, they are apples.

Yes John, it pretty much is a year long project and am still very much a novice with the fruit trees so I will pay more attention to a spraying schedule this winter instead of all the seed starting. Also did my first ever grafting this spring and got 8 out of ten to take so doing more grafts may also be in my future.

4 Likes

Wow, using the word ‘perfect’ is rarely used but that garden is not only stunning it is quite perfect! Neat, clean, the rows all are aligned, it goes to show what a tremendous amount of work can give you. A lot of research also probably went into those gardens as to what would grow in the area. Just beautiful. Well done!!!

2 Likes

Thepodpiper,

I love your heart-shape and double heart-shape espaliers. Imaging delicious apples adorn all over it! I would go nut coming out everyday to adore, to take pictures and to guard it from any invasion! And with all that attentions for these beauties, my wife would probably be jealous enough to send me to the dog house… :worried:

You’re a super gardener! Love everything else that you’ve shared in these lovely and neatly organized garden!

Tom

2 Likes

Took a trip to the universities arboretum today. Spotted their native persimmon trees. They are 56 years old, 40’ tall and loaded with fruit. Won’t be ready until November.

5 Likes

Replaced a half shaft in my van this morning (stupid shaft would not come out///had to unbolt the shaft and then it just fell out of the transmission spilling about a qt of tranny fluid on everything). Sweaty and covered in axle grease by the time i was done. I understand why mechanics charge what they do.

6 Likes

I brought in my last blueberry harvest this morning. Not too shabby, fresh blueberries from April to August.

8 Likes

Mine is going bad too. I watched youtube videos and they say the oil will come out. The ujoints are going on mine. They aren’t clunking but vibrating and humming. I think they are seizing. I just did the struts and the bolts on top were a pain in the butt! There’s only enough room for a wrench, and the wipers, fuse block, and breaks are all in the way!

I took my son along with my parents to the local u-pick today. We were there for Williams’ Pride, as my dad and I both like them and our trees aren’t bearing yet. This is the best picture I have of my son from the day.

14 Likes

Well done MrClint. I am focusing on extending my apple and pear harvest dates but I haven’t really attempted to do this with blueberries yet. What was your first and last varieties to ripen? Thanks Bill

Great picture Drew. When my children were growing up we did the same thing and they still remember the trips to the u-pick orchards. He will have great memories from these trips. Bill

The fence/netting is beautifully done. I may use your pictures to try and convince my wife I can fence my trees neatly!

We’ve had well over two feet of rain in the last three days and it’s still coming down. Entire communities are flooded , food & water are being airlifted to people stranded on the interstates since yesterday morning. Everyone with boats are volunteering to help rescue those that are trapped in their homes. Luckily we are on high ground and have no problems.
When it rains in Louisiana it POURS.

2 Likes

Funny you say that. The boot on mine got damaged when i replaced the struts late last fall…so i knew it was only a matter of time before the cv half shaft would blow (its why there was so much axle grease down there…was flinging out because the boot was gone).

Replacing the struts wasn’t bad (I bought the complete strut//spring) so i didn’t have to take the old springs off… but the alignment was messed up until i did my own camber adjustments! LOL… she rides straight…i just put a level up to the disc rotor and shoot for plumb :slight_smile: I also put on new sway bar links…that was when i ran into a bolt that wouldn’t come off so i had to get an angle grinder in there and hope to god their wasn’t a gas lines near by. Fun fun fun.

I’m your typical backyard mechanic. I have just enough tools/know how to get myself in trouble. Next up i need to figure out a noise in our car

Oh…and it looks like a taste of fall is coming for next weekend! Weather models are hinting at a very cool day a week for now up here in the midwest…60Fs??? for highs?? probably not (if sunny)…but 70Fs for sure.

1 Like

I also found borers (the larvae) eating the base of 4 of my peach trees this afternoon. All were squished. Time to go and give a complete look on all the trees and a spray of permethrin.