What's happening today 2016?

Lookslike an actual real rainstorm managing not to miss us

2 Likes

Don’t blame us for your allergies acting up. It is funny seeing this as we sometimes say the same thing when the wind starts coming from the north. All in fun and I hope your allergies are better soon.

1 Like

I’ve got to imagine ragweed releases pollen in the south before it does up here? It must mature faster then up here, but yeah…it grows everywhere. I’ve seen it in my garden. A rain is the best thing. I don’t have any other allergies, but ragweed hits me hard. I take medication which i’ll be starting shortly.

This is the time of the year i start looking forward to that first frost!

2 Likes

Areas just south of Minneapolis had near 4 inches of rain in spots (I had an inch of rain overnight). The Mississippi is rising fast here and should be at flood stage later this week (from the rain last week…it takes a while to get down here).

A wicked storm rolled in last hour!

8 Likes

Wow! That really does look like it ‘rolled’ in. The edge of that low, flat bottomed cloud is a fearsome sight. :fearful:

Luckily, I heard no siren during its severed down pour!!!

I’m glad it’s not winter when all this rain you guys are getting would be snow.

I’d love to have some rain tight now. I hate watering plants by hand. An inch or 2 spread out over a 25hour period would be great. Ground is hard as a rock right now.

1 Like

Good article on the Ogallala aquifer…thing is going to be empty some day.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/08/vanishing-midwest-ogallala-aquifer-drought/

3 Likes

Water level in some of the wells in the Texas panhandle where I used to work have dropped by 3-5ft per yr since they were dug, many 60 yr ago. When I first moved there in 1971 they were already so concerned that there was a committee in place with the plan to move water up 4000ft in elevation from the Mississippi river. That died off as energy prices increased. Hundreds of thousands of acres have converted from irrigated to dryland.

What struck me as unwise was the use of irreplaceable ground water to grow crops such as corn and sorghum that were only economically viable with government price supports. But working in ag I kept my mouth shut.

5 Likes

We just got 0.1 again - as usual

Always just barely enough to keep the drought wolf from the door

They Say more will come tonite, but I’ve stopped believing them

Farm name

NO RAIN! Humidity yes, rain no.

Looks like some intense heat starting in the next few days. Showing upper 90Fs for Thurs and Friday… ugh…

Take a trip to northern FL where it is cooler. :slight_smile: At 10:30 this morning it was already “feels like” 103 because of the humidity. The real temp was only a cool 90. I ran out of shade to work in. I’d like to stay indoors until evening, but still need to get back out there during the day to do watering.

We got 2" of rain last night w/90 temps today, like walking in a hot, wet, blanket. Time to recycle some egg eating hens at the local Tex/Mex restaurant.

1 Like

I think i’d pass out and die.

There was a local newspaper story about the heatwave of July 1936… that year people were SLEEPING in the parks. There was a picture of a giant block of ice with a fan on top of it!

Interesting thing about 1936 was that following winter was BRUTALLY cold…

July 13th, 1995 the heat index was 121F in La cRosse. Remember going out on the lake that day and the water felt like bath water. We were the only ones out there.

1 Like

We’ve gotten all the rain, which, makes our ‘real feel’ 106 due to humidity. Went out this morning and the sweat just doesn’t cool you off, esp w/no breeze. I can only do 7:30-9, then come in and peel soaked clothes off. If I had to water, I think I’d be tempted to hose myself down, lol.

This is why I don’t go swimming in our pool mid-summer. The water is too warm for my comfort.

1 Like