What's Happening Today 2023

gotta fertilize my okra. it’s so tiny. it’s 50 day, but it germinated over a week ago. two weeks maybe. it’s hard to grow here. I’ll feed it fish and seaweed I think.

the corn is finally tasseling and the dog nearly got a squirrel. he’s a big ole guy so he doesn’t get as close to catching them as the little dog does.

3 Likes

Got to visit my dear friend @PomGranny in Chesapeake and walk through her orchard! Our day was not only filled with fruit and grafting ideas, but also food, art, and “out of this world” excitement.

Shout out to Growing Fruit for all the amazing information, advice, and friendships I’ve been lucky enough to amass over the past years.

14 Likes

Pommy, looking good, same with your friend Rosdonald!! Looking younger than last year picture. Pomegranates eating??

2 Likes

Thanks, bud. “Two Old Fruit Farts” . . . . after getting stuck in the rain! But we have a lot of nerdy fun together. Who else could talk about fireblight for 30 minutes - and be totally entertained??? LOL

3 Likes

Such a warm, nice event. I am envious that you two live so close. If I lived nearby, I would have piggyback on your trip

4 Likes

Sometimes our world looks hopeless…but so long as there’s enough
old fashioned hospitality, there’s some hope left. Glad you enjoyed your ‘vacation’ and
all that came with it. Great photo by the way.

3 Likes

Well, the update is even with over 100 degree days last week, the accidentally growing squash/pumpkin vines are fruiting well still. I didn’t have a bumper tomato year, but they are growing still some fruit. One is also from accidental seeds and so no idea what I am going to get here by the wall.

These were from the “compost” pile and the “squash/pumpkin” could be one of 3 kinds, or even a blend of some since I have many flowers and several vines to cross pollinate. Besides typical carving pumpkin, which I doubt this one is, there was the Cinderella cheese pumpkin with a coral color and a dark blue squared type. Both of those were HUGE. I got a feeling this one starting out in August is going to be a big one too.

2 Likes

Couldn’t find a general harvest thread so I’ll put this here.

I know some nut trees use shakers for harvesting. I’ve seen machines used for dropping female ginkgo tree fruit by cities to remove them…though they had separate sheets they’d lay on the ground.

This machine is a beast. Watch the end as well. It looks like some steampunk pterosaur.

Here are today’s growth updates.
I hope the roofers do not throw stuff onto them to squash it all, which would be my luck. But the pumpkins are growing quickly in our very warm 80-90 weather. The tiny tomatoes are not ripening or getting bigger fast at all.

4 Likes

Nice fruit.

Reminds me, pumpkins of the fake sort by the hundreds on display at Lowe’s in London KY today…several colors…very realistic looking…I thought they were fake…but I had to squeeze one to be sure!

Not so good for our farmers if they get put out of business by counterfeit pumpkins from China though!

2 Likes

My first crop of flowering quince. I found all three dropped today. I’m not sure if they quite made it far enough along to use them.
What I found very interesting is that, despite being very different sizes, they are all almost exactly 3" long.

3 Likes

today I picked a cantaloupe and some figs and peppers and stuff is still flowering and ripening out there. in my short season, early frost, zone 6 October

really good, almost a nutty taste, very sweet and juicy soft. small. planted from a store bought fruit.

2 Likes

Crazy stuff, I found one of my small Cherry trees with blossoms opening on it yesterday. I’ve had quite a few fruit trees doing a double blossom at odd times of the year this year for some reason. I guess it’s because it’s been an odd year weather wise in these parts.

1 Like

Pink dogwood blooming. Tomatoes really happy looking…the ones that didn’t give up during the hot dry spell in September.

I actually found a tiny apple. Must have been pollinated after summer pruning. Pic coming.

2 Likes

greenhouse mostly set up. needs a layer of the bubble wrap inside, and the sheet outside for the coldest weather, but it’s ready for November.

tobacco, sugar cane, a fig, sweet potatoes all pumping away still in there,

next to the compost pile. it’s keeping them very warm at night.

frog assistant

some things I drug in, I got lettuce to start on that table soon.

the figs eventually go under a shade cloth along the wall where it’s colder and darker. peppers and olives too. for now they’re in the way, until it gets colder.

carrot and potato buckets by the gooseberries. those stay outside and do the best they can. frost is on Monday, freeze next week.

4 Likes

I lifted a row of “nut” trees in the nursery today… I think this one misunderstood the assignment :thinking:

4 Likes

My new $50 purchase from marketplace. I’m excited!

6 Likes

Be careful. I didn’t realize even the Chinese made ladders for that price.

2 Likes

Forgot to post my weather station pic. Date time is Nov 11 at 11:11. Caught my eye.

2 Likes