What's the coldest zone people are using B.118?

-45 actual temp definitely puts you lower than zone 4. I’ve got a number of trees on b118 that have seen -40, but that was one time. -30 to -35 is usually our coldest low.

I’m done with b118 due to a tendency to lean here.

1 Like

Ive yet to see any incomptability using bacatta in AK. I have 5 P Magic on bacatta. P Magic isnt that hardy here though at my location. Bud 118 is not hardy in zone 3 or 2. It will survive for a while but eventually die out here at my place in AK

You might see compatibility issue with winter apples but those wont grow here.

Probably should pose this question to you under a different thread, but what apples are you growing successfully there in Alaska? Are they mostly on Bacatta and Ranetka rootstock? Or Dolgo or Antonovka?

I have seen no incompatibility in Alaska with any variety on baccata! There are plenty rumors going around with info online. I have been grafting onto baccata for years, prior used ranetka but Lawyers shut down and none available now that is hardy. I’ve yet to see anything that didnt graft to baccata of the varieties that we can grow here in AK.

antonovka is a poor root for AK. Dolgo would be fine except finding or knowing the seed source is important as that determines the hardiness. Some baccata seed sources are very poor and none of it survives. my orchard is all one ranetka or baccata or rootstock I have grown from my ranetka treed seed.

There are over 150 varieties of apples that do well here. Oriole, Prairie Sensation, Parkland, Norland, Westland, Morden 359 & 358, Snovit, Rescue, Trailman, Priarie Sun, Viking, Iowa Beaty, Sept Ruby, Zestar!, Renown, Heyer 6, 12, 20 among many others

2 Likes

Bud 118 dies here at my place and many growers lost many trees on B118 this year! I you want a tree for longevity in AK you need baccata or ranetka or something you developed brom them!