What's the lifespan of ohxf rootstocks? More about pears

I have went to almost exclusively x87 on my nursery trees. I do not graft Asian pear varieties if I did I wouldnt put them on anything smaller than x97, some varieties seem to lag behind even on that. I have been very happy with the growth of trees on x87 and have even had some varieties bloom their 3rd leaf.

1 Like

All my euros are on OHF.87 except for one OHF.333 which is multi-budded with Magness and Potomac.

1 Like

Some years back, someone reputableā€¦ Cummins Nursery, maybe?.. had posted info indicating that OHxF 513 was compatible with both Euro and Asian pearsā€¦ with no ā€˜pear declineā€™ issues with the Asians.
I bought a bundle of 513 and used them. Itā€™s the suckeringest thing Iā€™ve ever planted, hands-down. Have at least a couple of trees on the other side of the pond here that Iā€™ve not kept up with pruning onā€¦ Iā€™m not convinced but that Iā€™ve lost the graft in the rampant clump of rootstock shoots.
Butā€¦ for the past 5-7 years, Iā€™ve been using an 8-10 inch piece of OHxF 513 as an interstem between callery understock and all fruiting pears Iā€™ve grafted - whether Euro or Asian. Is the interstem inducing dwarfing or early bearing? I dunnoā€¦ I just graft and plant 'emā€¦if they make it, fine, if they donā€™tā€¦ I rarely know the differenceā€¦but the 513 interstem doesnā€™t sucker.

2 Likes

All my pears have long 14-16" unknown dwarf interstems and are on Callery roots. My hopes were to get the full effect of dwarfing, early fruiting, and no long term support. All five are doing well and becoming fruitful early.

Editā€¦ No suckering as of now.

1 Like

Very interesting reading through responses. I like the idea of interstems and may request a few more from ars grin next year to experiment further. I have some good things going with pears right now and hope to take that up a level by choosing the right rootstock for the right situation. Interesting reading what other people have done for rootstocks.