What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

nice Viktor! that makes picking much easier. did you tie them to get them like that or use wire?

3 Likes

Here I described how I do it. these are older shrubs that I will rejuvenate with this

In this way they grow during the season after the autumn total cut of about 1m.

first year after autumn complete pruning of twigs

the second year they look like this in the spring

11 Likes

From such shrubs the fruits are harvested very comfortably. I tried it this spring and it was great. I will see how long it will be sustainable.

In nature, these sprouts grow in thickets and thus protect shallow roots from drying out. Naturally, the regenerating twigs stretch for the light. The fruits are largely on the tops of the twigs and thus on the periphery of the bushes and heal below.

Basically, I took advantage of the renewal vitality of the bushes after the total autumn cut. If the regenerating twigs start to grow, I will gradually bandage them so that they grow upright and the two sticks prevent the wind from bending and breaking. Thus, upright in autumn, they reach a height of about 1 m and woody. this is how they take shape.

In the spring, twigs tend to lean to the side and branch at the top. It arises as if a tree were shaved at the bottom and branched at the top. The fruits are at the top.

The fact that such “trees” are at intervals does not protect the roots from sun-drying. Therefore, it is important to protect their roots. Nonwovens have worked for me and they grow very well then.

6 Likes

Those would look great in pots if the branches were braided into a single trunk.

Victor, good to have you back. You definitely rock the honeyberry space. Keep it coming!

2 Likes

How long have you been using the nonwovens? I have such a struggle with weeds.

This Spring was a test for these plants that I have not experienced during 20 years of cultivation. After the warm winter, there were constantly recurring late frosts, which tested the resistance of the varieties in various stages, from buds, through flowers and then fruits. From what I followed, the Canadian varieties -Aurora, Blizzard, Beast best passed this test of various varieties and were sprinkled with fruit as if nothing had happened. the exception was the Honeybee variety, which at some stage frozen fruit.

The sweet Russian variety L. Velikán turned out the worst. It was also an exceptional year from the point of view that every variety that I have basically blossomed at one time, whether sooner or later.

It seems that some Russian varieties are more prone to such extremes than Canadian ones. the only exception was Honeybee.

After such verification, it is possible to see which varieties to limit and which to expand.

Frost damage to Honeybee fruits

on the contrary, the Beast and other Canadians were sprinkled with fruit

10 Likes

I have been using non-woven fabrics since I found that they grow much better if the roots are protected from drying out and that weeds that are essentially at the same level do not grow there.
And it’s been about 20 years since I’ve done it.
They like to grow in the thicket one plant next to each other and do not let weeds among themselves and thus protect their roots. This knowledge is important for successful cultivation. As for pollination, it’s better this way. Insects also prefer to look for plants that grow in this way. This naturally protects the roots and prevents weeds from growing.

But if I want to have a comfortable harvest and therefore plant them at large intervals of about 1.5 m, then it is necessary to replace the shading of the root system and especially young plants. This fabric proved to be the easiest for me.
I always plant the plants in my own compost and often top up the crushed branches from the trees and cover it all with non-woven fabric. In this way, the fabric is as if in the air and a climate is created there, which these plants love very much. I no longer interfere with the roots, nor do I dig and anything like that. If the roots are not covered and overgrown with weeds, they are also sensitive if weeds with roots, growing close to the plant, are uprooted during the vegetation. This must be prevented

3 Likes

we had a similar winter and spring here. many early blooming fruits lost their whole crops to late freezes. my mulberry was leafing out when the frosts killed all the leaves! the honey berries and currants were undamaged. i guess my honeybee got lucky.

3 Likes

Very similar here moose. Frost hit the honeyberries the one in midbloom seems like it passed away minus a few branches here and there. Other honeyberries went through without a hitch.

What viktor is saying about protecting the roots around the top makes sense and its where my soil dries out pretty fast, the honeyberries definitely create a nice shade zone for their roots.

3 Likes

my 5’’ plus of wood chips around mine helps also. all through our severe drought i only watered maybe a handful of times and they held on to all their leaves and fruited well.

1 Like

I definitely should be woodchipping all mine. I will try and make a go out of it this winter during a warm spell I hope as i always get overrun in spring.

1 Like

there must be some arborists in your area. hit em’ up. local road crews will drop you a load if they’re working nearby. wood chips would be a godsend in your environment where water is so precious!

2 Likes

I like to experiment. Maybe it would be possible. they do not like to grow in containers. I could try it on some loose plants and very carefully. Although shoots grow like willows, they are fragile and bent at first and often break off at the trunk in the wind. But at some stage the green shoots lose their fragility and become tougher. I would have to figure out when to do this and do it carefully and gradually intertwine. It would look nice if it worked. I’ll try and let you know…

4 Likes

in April I counted 20 frosty nights. Such constant spring frosts have affected the harvest of some varieties.

as for other fruit, there is nothing. completely frozen cherries, plums, apples, pears and basically a year without this fruit.

3 Likes

In Russia, Canadian Hascap varieties are becoming increasingly popular. Here we see a poetic commentary on the Canadian varieties as a revolution in selection:

https://youtu.be/pt7NlnZzOPU

Experience and Fertility in Canadians

https://youtu.be/cQblGS7RIXc

Russian and Canadian varieties planted in Ukraine

https://youtu.be/99opXVKG7e4

8 Likes

Viktor, wow! Do you have to net for birds? How about deer? And do you leave the landscape fabric on year round? Does grass eventually come up through the fabric? I have a cylinders of chicken wire with posts around each bush, but it is a nuisance. I have used wood chip mulch, but within a year the grass and weeds grow through the mulch. I’m not sure how to remove the weeds without disturbing the roots.

2 Likes

Weeds do not have to be removed because the roots are disturbed. All you have to do is add mulch, fertilize it and cover it with geotextile on top. The grass will not pass. They like it very much if the roots are covered with agrotextiles. Agrotextile is year-round. I give mulch, but on top of that I still cover it with non-woven or woven agrotextile. Woven agrotextile 130g / m² is better and lasts about 6 years. The width is 1.05 m, which I cut to 0.5 m. I will put one half on one side and the other on the other side and between the plants I will close them with an office stapler. It can be stretched back, or fertilized, or the mulch can be added and fastened again with a stapler. I press the edges to the ground with steel wire - U-shaped clips. When I mow, I try to blow the grass out of the agrotextile. This will last a very long time.
Conversely, nonwoven agrotextiles begin to disintegrate after 3 years. It depends on the thickness.
Jelenov we have whole herds. When there is a lot of snow, they bite the fruit trees. But Haskap shrubs are quite dry in the winter and I have not yet observed a bite of an animal. They prefer juicier twigs from fruit trees.
I have to put a net against the birds.

5 Likes

mulch is so much easier.

2 Likes

Thank you, Viktor, for that information. I have some weed barrier that I bought on clearance, so I may try it on a few bushes.

1 Like