What's the verdict on Honeyberries...are they tasty?

Not a honeyberry. Hard to tell what it is in the pic. Did you order any other plants? Cherry? Or do you have any trees growing nearby?

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell from that pic. You can read about the traits of tundra from HBUSA-
“ Mature height 4-5’ and 6’ width”
“ Squatty, sprawling growth habit not ideal for commercial harvesting”

Sounds like tundra grows wide instead of tall. If you go on YouTube and search “tundra honeyberry” there is a video from HBUSA where it shows the tundra plant full grown.

My sugar mountain blue is really slow growing. It seems to be the slowest growing honeyberry plant I have. It puts out about half the growth compared to some of the other varieties. Sugar mountain blue can get pretty tall.

You should just get Aurora as a replacement. It’s pretty good. Or get blizzard / beauty / beast (late blooming). Everyone on here raves about Aurora, but I think blizzard is the best.

If you were starting out and buying your first bush, you would get recommendations for Aurora + something else, or a blizzard + something else.

4 Likes

I saw a post on FB where Lowes is selling Honeyberries… he had pics of Aurora, Tundra, HoneyBee and some others that i dont remember. $13 (i think) in the skinny white bags. His location was Indiana… so not sure if its regional. Im gonna keep an eye out.

1 Like

and i believe aurora pollinates tundra and sugar mountain blue.

2 Likes

Having them in pots enables putting a later bloomer in full sun and a early bloomer in shade–resulting in blooming at the same time.
Not viable on a big scale, but can be done at home.

2 Likes

Oh! That might work on potted fruit trees too but I wonder by how much? Enough to mix early and mid bloomers?

Down the rabbit hole I go…

You guys are the best. Thank you!

2 Likes

It’s hard getting honeyberries because the entire bush is apparently so tasty! Between the birds and the rabbits, mine are getting a permanent netting enclosure this year if I want any berries in the future.

I just found out honeyberry bushes are very tasty… to deer. My bushes looked like they were setting a decent crop, but they’ve all been mowed overnight by some very well fed deer who had tons of options to choose from, but decided honeyberry bushes were to be preferred.

6 Likes

I saw a different post from central IN. It was 1 gallon pots: Aurora, Borealis, Tundra, Berry Blue, and Cinderella. The label said Bailey Nurseries.

2 Likes

Correction. It wasn’t Central IN. I had to go back and look. It was northern IL. They were definitely potted 1 gallon. They posted a picture of the tag and it had Bailey Nurseries as provider/grower.

If it was a few months ago for Costco, it probably was somewhere more south. In the midwest, it’s still cold and things are only starting to be set out in the past two months (at most).

1 Like

Ok i was wrong it took me awhile to find the post again as i just skimmed it.

4 Likes

Yeah I saw a different post, but pots look the same, from Bailey’s.

2 Likes

Lol i get cane fruit ocd sometimes… those bags of rasps crossed the wrong wires in my brain :rofl:

I will pick up a few if they make it here…

I’ve heard from a friend in OH that they have the same honeyberry selection at lowes. It might be more widespread, but distribution seems for sure to be at Lowes within the midwest.

3 Likes

I’ve can confirm that I have Honeyberries at my Lowe’s (eastern Iowa). $15, and looked to be in great shape.

3 Likes

I presume, it’s the exact same selection, given they seem to be all coming from the same supplier - Bailey’s.

1 Like

I don’t think any Bailey stuff at the blue box store here.

1 Like

On the Cinderella- Stark says its compact, OneGreenWorld says its extremely vigorous 4ft tall and 3ft wide… (other sites selling it says its a small shrub).

Berry Blue- One Green World says its the largest…another site says its like a Model T Ford…dependable and productive…lol.

Ive read somewhere that Aurora is definately worth growing but Tundra not so much. Is Borealis good?

1 Like

ive read blizzard is on par with aurora for vigor and production but mine are still young. they did give me a doz good sized berries last spring when i planted them.

Berry Blue is the trademark name for Czech 17. Large is not a good descriptor. It is upright and bushy.
https://honeyberryusa.com/about-honeyberry.html

HBUSA has a picture of borealis and Czech 17/Berry Blue side by side.

3 Likes