What's wrong with one of my blackberry canes?

Has the original cane asked about “grown out of it”, or is it still odd, and has the other cane continued normal growth?

Both new canes on one plant look weird at the tips, and about the same. the leaves are coming out all crinkled. Today I put 2 oz of ammoniumsulfate on each plant hoping for a quick fix. I’m thinking I might need more but I’ll wait 2-3 weeks to see if they look any better. The other one took longer to show symptoms cuz the canes are smaller but it’s showing now. Will upload some pics in a minute

The first three are my prime ark freedom, the other is prime ark 45. All the old leaves still look great, it’s just the new growth.

Could be the beginning of blackberry psyllid.

I had some Obsidians that got it real bad…likely bc the plants were from the PNW with conifers…

Hard to diagnose at this point…

https://blogs.cornell.edu/berrytool/raspberries/1126-2/

1 Like

I was going to suggest maybe some type of mites? They’re usually difficult/impossible to see and can cause weird damage.

1 Like

Could it be root rot? They don’t have an outstanding spot in terms of drainage, but there’s never standing water really in the couple months that I’ve lived here. small sample size. Could also be fert burn maybe? I could’ve overloaded them , it’s definitely possible. they were growing great til a few weeks ago. I’m new to clay soil.

Baby leaves on my newly planted bareroot raspberries and triple crown blackberry (plug) looked similar to what you have in your pictures. Those leaves have developed to normal looking leaves as they grew out.

…now it appears to be a general case, not limited to one cane. New aphid colonies can have very tiny green individuals that blend in.

Hey guysfigured id give an update. Not much has changed so far after the addition of soil acidifier, and I’m thinking I just overfertilized, canes are super thick and still growing, just the leaves are super fucked up. I probably burned the roots a bit as I used some organic fertilizer and then put some osmocote on top without thinking about dosage or anything, just too much of a good thing. Hopefully they will grow out of it soon.

1 Like