What's Your Stealth Favorite Garden Tool

Yes, I’ve done that. You can also use grocery bags for grafting or cut a sandwich with a hatchet.

I’ve taken to distributing adjustable zip ties throughout the orchard so I can grab them in a pinch to hold a cage closed, hold a limb bent, for fencing, tree tubes and other stuff.

3 Likes

I like this Cape Cod weeder from Red Pig Tools:

A beautiful and very handy little tool – both precise and powerful. Good for cleaning up around the trunks of my fruit trees before putting down mulch. It really shines in the war against Bermuda grass. I keep the edge sharp enough to slice through the earth, but not so sharp that it will easily sever the rhizomes. That way I can yank them out.

I’ve bought dozens of different weeding tools, and even a couple different brands of Cape Cod weeders, but most of them are gathering dust while this one always has a place on my belt when I’m in the garden. I have large hands and this tool is smaller than most, but it is stout and has a good heft.

2 Likes

Yes, I really like this sort of weeder. Japanese hoe, stirrup hoe, this little guy.

That’s a Grandpa’s Weeder

1 Like