When things look bad with the weather try to learn from the experience

My keiffer was post bloom and leafed out. :cry:. It got down to ~20F here Monday night. Iā€™m not sure how many of the leaves will even come back. :cry::cry:

Hindsight is a wonderous thing.A great learning tool.bb

1 Like

Bruce will do great. He took two different 21-22 degree events for me last year and made a bunch of fruit.

They tasted like a plum crossed with papaya :slight_smile: He doesnā€™t pollinate my mystery J plum, tho, darnit.

2 Likes

Certainly have enough bloom buds. Will be a massive amount of blooms! Got a couple last year and really liked the taste.

1 Like

I forgot to mention spice. I taste plum, autumn-type spices, and papaya. The plum part is a little weak, but the combo works for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

After looking over the chart I should have at worst a 90% loss. This is my best season yet for having a heavy bloom so 10% survival would be great I think. My later blooming pears which are at the loose cluster stage appears to have the best chance of hanging on.

6 Likes

We got down to 21 after a night at 24. It will be interesting to see if Bruce and Not-Reliance (awesome mystery peach!) pull it off again this year. Last year they took those temps well.

My Hood didnā€™t bloom this year, but I had a tree guy perform magic in my orchard to miss all my trees while taking out a century old maple. Hood was the only casualty but still has one leader.

2 Likes

Try misting them with waterā€¦so that ice covers the treeā€¦although 21 is darn coldā€¦maybe with some luck the flowers will be preserved ā€¦the ice seems to be protectiveā€¦and if they are pollinated alreadyā€¦yjou might get a few instead of noneā€¦

2 Likes