When to plant grafted apples?

Good luck!

1 Like

Got that…revised post. Sorry. If they are one-per-pot and you can keep them watered…I’d grow them the rest of the year that way. (I have about 100 I am doing that with). bb

120 are headed to the orchard. I planned for 150 on m111. Then, Scion ordering got interesting and I made an impulse buy of 100 g890 rootstock.

For now, 120 are headed to the orchard and 150 to the garden/nursery to give me the time to work up the soil where they will go.

With luck, I’ll end up with a large enough yield for enough cider to quit my day job! The other possibility is simply admitting that I may have a problem.

Off to prep planting sites and take some pics to post later tonight.

3 Likes

And the photo evidence is in… the two ensembles of grafted trees show the most advanced versions as well as the more typical the outdoor pics show what’s happening to my two year whips. And of course, the vista they shall enjoy.

From what’s been said above, it feels like it’s safe to plant. Chime in to agree or disagree!

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

If you’re in any hurry to get a crop, the G890 was definitely a wise impulse decision vs the M111.

I’ve got Redfield, Campfield and Winecrisp on MM111…and I may be dead before they bloom. lol

Just grafted Kingston Black on B118 this year.

Yeah… the g890 was purchased because 1) I suddenly had twice the Scion I was expecting and felt guilty at the thought of disposing of it 2) While the previous m111 trees are making progress, I wanted some fruit sooner than later 3) diversity in rootstock seems wise. Every tree will have at least one redundancy between m111 and g890 and 4) I wanted free standing trees.

1 Like

122 trees in the orchard. That feels good to say! I’d like to say they look great, but not one of them can be seen from any distance. I must remember that growing trees is a task for patient people.

1 sore body.

138 trees, still in the garage. Will be planted in the nursery on Friday. I’m presuming they will go MUCH quicker than those in the orchard. I must forget the soreness felt today before planting time next year!

3 Likes

Good job !
I know the feeling …
And it’s …good !

2 Likes