Where to buy good persimmon trees

I’m starting a new thread, since my last persimmon thread was about finding a new variety.

I’m looking into buying some persimmon trees that will do well in my area (zone 6b).

For astringent varieties, I see Kassandra and JT-02 recommended a lot and it seems they can handle down to -10 degrees at least. But not seeing much of those online for sale. Is that normal for persimmon varieties? I’m totally new to persimmon trees, so it seems odd that so many people love them but hardly anybody sells them. (i’m referring to the commonly recommended tree nurseries. I’m hesitant about buying from a new site/nursery if I haven’t heard much about them)

For non-astringent, I see Tam Kan as well as Ichi Ki Kei Jiro are listed as some of the most cold tolerant. (might have to protect them on some of the coldest nights here) I see IKKJ as well as a few other Jiro varieties on sites like Starks Bros. Not seeing many places carrying Tam Kan. I do see it’s out of stock at One Green World.

Anyway, just wondering if there are special nurseries or persimmon tree sites that I’m not aware of. Trusted ones, of course. And if there is an obvious persimmon variety I haven’t mentioned, would be happy to hear about that too.

3 Likes

If you graft you can get just about any type of scion from either Fruitwood of Englands orchard. If you don’t graft, maybe consider Learning, or ask one of the nearby members to assist you. Most would be happy to help
Dennis
Kent, wa

3 Likes

Kassandra and JT-02 (aka Mikkusu) are still pretty rare, especially in the nursery trade. There aren’t a lot of nurseries propagating them yet, and most of those are pretty small time outfits. Long story short, not a lot of inventory available out there.

Places to look include Cricket Hill, Cliff England (nuttrees.net - although I suspect he’s already sold out for the year), and Perfect Circle Farm. All of them have good reputations here. Grafting might be your best bet to get what you want. These varieties are common enough in the hobbyist circles now that you shouldn’t have too much trouble arranging for a trade. Also, members on here occasionally post some extra grafted trees up for sale.

3 Likes

Trees of Antiquity has a few.

I was very happy to find Nikita’s Gift there, wasn’t easy to find in California.

It was a nice size too, not a whip.

I bought two and one failed to thrive so they are replacing it with my 2024 order. I trust them and great customer service.

4 Likes

@wardog … do you have land ? Fields ?

A couple years ago I finally realized that wild persimmion saplings like the one above just pop up and grow like crazy in my fields… as long as I dont bushhog them down. They grow around 5 ft tall and 1/2 inch diameter in a single season.

I just pick out the ones i want to exclude from bushhoging… let them grow one season… then graft them the next spring.

This past spring i successfully grafted zima khurma, prok, corora de ria, Mikkusu, rich tooie, Nakitas Gift, Kassandra, Barbara’s Blush.

Planning to add Journey, H118, H63A next spring.

Here in southern TN they like to grow wild (in the edge of fields/woods… or just out in the fields) and can survive and thrive even if you have been bushhogging them down 2x a year for 20+ years.

If you do have land… get to know them and search… you might get lucky like me.

TNHunter

4 Likes

@TNHunter I have one acre and it isn’t woods. I can’t say I’ve seen a wild persimmon around here, although I know they are fairly common in Kentucky.

@DennisD I’ve never grafted before. I really only have room for about 2-3 more trees, so I wasn’t sure it was worth the bother for that.

3 Likes

It’s always worth the bother. :grin:
It’s a good skill to learn, can be a lot of fun. Also it’s useful if you change your mind about a variety (topwork it instead of buying a new tree) or you can pursue the challenge of creating (and maintaining) the perfect multi-variety tree. You could even start a side hustle selling grafted trees.

5 Likes

I’m working with 1/8th of an acre right now and I have 4 persimmons in ground with at least 3 more planned. Not saying it’s a good idea, just that if you really want to, you can fit a lot of trees on an acre.

Rock Bridge Trees is an up and coming nursery I recently found out about which should be added to the short list of hard to find persimmon sales.

8 Likes

@wardog … i did my first graft spring before last… a mulberry that was a huge success. Got lots of nice fruit from it this year.

That one graft got me started…

This past spring… i grafted goumi 3, cherry 5, plums 1, apples 7, pears 2, persimmons 8 (successful).

Very high success rates.

If a fruit tree turns out to be a dud… you can change it to another variety (or multiple varieties) using that established rootstock and get back to fruit production quickly.

Last spring via grafting i added these varieties to my collection… carmine goumi, montmorency cherry, arkansas black apple, pristine apple, black limbertwig apple, kieffer pear, improved kieffer pear, au producer plum, and 8 varieties of persimnon. Spring before last cut the top off of a very disappointing white mulberry… and changed it over to gerrardi dwarf… which has already fruited and I like the fruit much better.

Grafting… yes… i would also encourage you to give it a try.

TNHunter

5 Likes

So if I did decide to start grafting, what are good resources to teach me how to do it? I’ve been growing trees for 16 years (10 in FL, 6 in KY), but a total newbie when it comes to grafting.

3 Likes

Has a pretty good YT channel with lots of grafting tutorials. I don’t think there’s any persimmons specifically, but the techniques should be about the same.

4 Likes

This hits the nail on the head. You’ll have the most opportunity and flexibility if you get comfortable grafting your own trees. That means (1) acquiring DV rootstock, (2) acquiring desired scions, and (3) making decent grafts. These are all possible even for a newbie with no knife skills – I know because I’ve done it. The only downside is that you lose roughly 1 year vs a purchased $40-50 tree and 2 years vs a purchased $70-90 tree.

To give you an example of the potential (and I am not an over-achiever), I am currently growing the following that I grafted as new trees: 1 JT-02, 2 Saiyo, 1 Sheng, 2 H63A, 2 Barbara’s Blush, 2 Dollywood. That’s not counting 6-8 trees that I gave away to friends. That’s also not counting grafts onto existing mature trees. This year I have ordered scions for H-118 and Nikita’s Gift.

Also, if you learn the skill then a whole world opens up with other species. For example, apples and pears are way easier to graft than persimmons and the rootstock is easier to acquire. I’ve got a very nice collection of cider apple varieties, mostly grafted by me.

Try it!

5 Likes

SkillCult vids can keep you busy learning most of the winter (Youtube).
I have JSacadura and Stephen Hayes subscribed as well… Lots of good info on Youtube on it, and many good post here with lots of good details and examples.

Link below to this years (2023 Grafting thread)

5 Likes

The videos mentioned above are good. There are also some good threads on here covering grafting in general or specifics of different types of trees. Watch the videos and read up, get ahold of a lot of scrap twigs that you can practice cutting and putting back together. Take your time and don’t expect to get perfect cuts right away.

If you can, find someone local who can nextdoor you or take a class, but it’s definitely something to can learn on your own.

2 Likes

To answer your original question - one green world, burnt ridge nursery, edible landscaping are all trustworthy nurseries. There are several others too.

This forum is filled with fruit enthusiasts who want the absolute latest and best. This is why we graft and recommend it. However for instant gratification, buy a tree and help the economy.

4 Likes

I gotten good trees from Just Fruits & Exotics as well. They’re expensive but the trees are well developed.

4 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. Quick question, do all persimmons graft with each other? Or do you need to separate by Asian/American or something like that?

3 Likes

Most Asian and hybrids will graft to American rootstocks, but Asians don’t typically like to hold American persimmon grafts, from what I’ve read on here. Multi grafting can be done, but persimmons have a tendency to shed otherwise healthy branches (usually if they’re too shaded), so you may lose varieties from time to time.

3 Likes