Which Blueberries to grow in zone 7a-7b

I don’t remember? I found these, either nursery should due.

I don’t know anything about this nursery in TN? Good price!

Thanks. Here is another photo, in the fall. 3 beds, one in the middle empty. On the left is Legacy and the far right is liberty, you can barely see it. That is the one with the berries. it really is not that big of a plant. Legacy is not my biggest, Chandler is. It is about 6 feet tall.

2 Likes

Drew,
If I were in MI… NHBs and lowbush types would be my go-tos. But not in 7a-7b, or even in my z6 setting.
Down here, Rabbiteyes will get 8-10 ft tall, and spread 10-15 ft. The NHBs we had, for 10 years or so, never surpassed 3-4 ft in either dimension; the difference in total production of berries on a seasonal basis was on the order of tens of gallons per plant, if for no other reason than just the difference in size and vigor of the plant.

1 Like

Yes, I agree, they are very cool plants too. I would love to have an 8 foot blueberry plant!
NHB ranges from almost a half high like Pink Popcorn, and Cara’s Choice to some that do get to just about 8 feet. Chandler can get there too same with Toro. Mine is 7th leaf and about 5 and half feet tall. Here it is today.

It’s big enough i have to prune with loppers

1 Like

Are you growing dwarfs? Really curious because I’ve got older Tifblue that easily are 12 to 14 feet tall.

1 Like

Well, I am stranded up here in the frigid Northland…far from UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama).

3 Likes

Just went to store today.
Heres what I got

Brightwell
Bluecrop
Climax
Sunshine Blue
Premier

I actually intended to only get Brightwell but they where $10 a piece so generally you tend to spend a bit more if the price is right.
I passed on Blueray because it was double. But I will be getting a few more varieties I have been wanting

2 Likes

Blueray’s higher price may be because of their amazing flavor. I’d much rather have one blueray than half a dozen varieties that don’t taste nearly the same. I killed off my climax and premier because they didn’t taste very good next to blueray.

2 Likes

The Blueray higher price was based on plant/pot size. 2 gallons are 20 bucks one gallons are 10 bucks.
ill buy it but not for $20 I have 5 more to get as I only got 1 that i was actually interested in.

I set out 5 rabbiteye blueberries over the last few weeks and will try to get O’Neal, Yadkin, and Blueray to have a few others for trial. It is a mixed bag. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Blueray is a Northern Highbush. But, possibly is self fertile. I like it.

Has anyone tasted the titan?

I see a combination of rabbiteye, northern highbush and southern highbush on some of the lists.

I would not expect NHB and SHB to do well in many zone 7A-7B.

I’m in a 7B zone in central NC and NHB are just about impossible to grow here. SHB can be grown here but do not do as well as rabbiteye. I have 300 plants of 4 varieties of SHB with large additions of peat moss and pine bark with drip irrigation on good soil. Two SHB do not produce as much fruit as one rabbiteye plant. The big advantage of the SHB is that they fruit almost a month ahead of rabbiteye.

On the other hand, in south east NC, SHB and NHB both do well and are grown on a big commercial scale. They have sandy soil with very high organic matter with a high water table. Very similar soil conditions to the pine barrens area of New Jersey where commercial blueberry production first started.

2 Likes

with this being said. I decided to stop at 5. I couldnt take it if I lost 12 plants because I dont know what im doing. Next year I will buy larger plants if these do well. Many ofcourse will be recommendations from here. I probally should post some pics here due to all the help atleast

1 Like

I tried several varieties of blueberries, but they are not growing well here in Northern VA. I think it’s due to the soil. The soil here is heavy clay, PH 5.1.
I tried Elliot, Bluecrop, Pink Lemonade, Duke and Sunshine Blue. The only one is thriving is Sunshine Blue actually. It’s a surprise to me. I thought Northern High Bush should be better adapted here. But for whatever reason, Sunshine Blue is doing the best and all the others were declining. I guess they probably don’t like clay soil. Or maybe I should try some Southern High Bush type?

Does anyone grow blueberry successfully in this region? I’d like to know which varieties work here. Thanks!

I’ve extolled the virtues of Sunshine Blue previously on here. Can handle 6.5 pH and clay soil to some extent.

I read your post too. Yeah. Totally agreed. I planted 2 Sunshine Blue in the ground. Zero maintenance. They have been growing well for 3 years. And their flowers are beautiful. They are worth it just for the ornamental value. :slight_smile:

I visited a local farm with blueberries. They have very sandy oil. They must have replaced or re-conditioned the soil somehow for the purpose of blueberry.

Do you know if any other blueberries that can handle clay soil? I just don’t have the time to build another raise bed just for blueberries.

1 Like

My Sweetcrisp and Springhigh have grown decently, but I’ve only had them one year.

Duke, Elliot, Bluecrop, Reka, Elizabeth, Ka-bluey, Chandler, Darrow, and I think one of the X’s choice (Cara? Elizabeth?) all do ok. I haven’t had any die on me, but they don’t exactly thrive in this climate. I think you will really struggle to keep them in ground in VA clay, so if you want in-ground blueberries you need raised beds.

Mine are all in pots in a mostly pine bark/peat moss mix. It’s too dry for the area, but I learned that well after potting most everything.

1 Like

Blueberries demand highly organic soil to grow in. Amend the soil with composted manure and peat moss to at least 6 inches deep. If you can put in irrigation, that will help too, but don’t over-water. As noted earlier in this thread, rabbiteye blueberries tend to be more vigorous and more tolerant of poor soil.

3 Likes

You could experiment with Patriot blueberry, and one called HardyBlue. For the clay soil/wet feet situation. But, Sunshine Blue has worked in multiple situations.

1 Like