Who's growing Quince?

This is what the owners of “organic lifestyle” publications and products would like people to believe. I have a lot more familiarity with this subject than I’d care to repeat.

1 Like

Well, it’s the doctors who focus on nutrition and cancer who follow the independent well done research in this area that I’m listening to. I have no problem if we disagree.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

I’m not a huge pro-organic person (if I need to spray Captan for example to get non-diseased peaches, I will).
I’m not sure if Quince really is a good preventative fruit for certain diseases (and I usually am a bit skeptical when my mom says stuff like boiled quince seeds can cure flu/colds :slight_smile: [old persian medical remedy … kinda amazing to see the ‘goo’ from inside the quince seeds become a gel-like substance] ).
I just wanted to mention that a good diet and exercise are generally good things to prevent disease and even cancer.org mentions this:

Besides quitting smoking, some of the most important things you can do to help reduce your cancer risk are:

Make healthy food choices with a focus on plant-based foods.
The evidence for this is strong. The World Cancer Research Fund estimates that about 20% of all cancers diagnosed in the US are related to body fatness, physical inactivity, excess alcohol consumption, and/or poor nutrition, and thus could also be prevented.
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/dietandphysicalactivity/diet-and-physical-activity

2 Likes

What I’ve read agrees with this assessment. Diet and exercise have a large effect on cancer.

Cheer up Richard, you seem to get some exercise and eat your fruits and veggies. I’m certain that’s a big plus in regards to cancer and most other serious diseases.

2 Likes

Found this excellent article using Google earlier that Harvard published on quince. Im looking forward to trying them. The article did advise against something I did already which is grafting quince to pear. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://arnoldia.arboretum.harvard.edu/pdf/articles/2009-67-1-cydonia-oblonga-the-unappreciated-quince.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjs6ebLzs7MAhUC0oMKHV9pCp0QFggpMAI&usg=AFQjCNHmQ_3GjHqBfwc4yF2M6XowArKXYg

2 Likes

Thanks for the article clarkinks. Joseph Postman is our local Government scion collection guy and he comes to our meetings sometimes. Great guy. Very knowledgable. Interesting history and geography in the article. As the Beatles would say, “Georgia’s always on my mind,…”
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

John,
I’m glad you enjoyed the article. Joseph Postman is a legend in fruit growing. Thanks
Clark

2 Likes

I made Membrillo with a bunch of fresh Quince last summer… ate with cheese…very excellent.

5 Likes

@JohnS, the President’s Cancer Panel 2008-2009 report - xttps://web.archive.org/web/20160514193357/http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/pcp/annualReports/pcp08-09rpt/PCP_Report_08-09_508.pdf starts out by saying With the growing body of evidence linking environmental exposures to cancer, the public is becoming increasingly aware of the unacceptable burden of cancer resulting from environmental and occupational exposures that could have been prevented through appropriate national action.

We know what DDT did in the fish/bird food chain. We know that estrogen (birth control pills) in the water supply produces fish with male and female parts - xttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0147651315301093. We increasingly know that neonicotinoids have a significant negative impact on pollinator insects - xttp://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleListURL&_method=list&_ArticleListID=-992696872&_sort=r&_st=13&view=c&md5=99d33304f622476b3c64ac573699c2a0&searchtype=a.

We know that certain types of cancer are triggered, in varying degrees, by environment - lung cancer, breast cancer, leukemia (benzene in auto exhaust) - xttp://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-many-cancers-are-caused-by-the-environment/

Since species after species is adversely affected by some level of chemicals in their habitat, why should we assume that we are not adversely affected by some level of chemicals in our habitat? Perhaps if you have environmental causative factors in place for long enough, these factors lead to a genetic factor.

A precautionary approach might be a good idea.

DG

3 Likes

@JohnS, I’m growing Kuganskaya and Aromatnaya. Neither have fruited yet, so I’m glad to hear that Kuganskaya is a tasty treat. That’s good since my Kuganskaya is much more vigorous than my Aromatnaya. I suspect that the graft is failing so I will attempt greenwood cuttings in an intermittent misting bed this summer.

DG

Great strategy, DG GREEN. I love Kuganskaya. I and some others here I know don’t really like Aromatnaya. I don’t want to grow fruit in my orchard that I can barely tolerate. Kuganskaya has a zingy, exciting blend of sweet, tart, and that specific quince flavor that is so spectacular. For me, Aromatnaya is fibrous, lacking in flavor, and uninteresting. It might be good cooked. It’s probably very nutritious, but I prefer to have a little flavor with my nutrition. I am not trying to hurt someone’s feelings if they like Aromatnaya better.

I agree with you about the environmental causes of cancer. There is a reason we have 80 times more cancer than 100 years ago. I think we need to be careful about our homes, our work places, and especially our families, because our little ones can’t take as much poison as us and still thrive.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

I planted an “Aromatnaya” Quince in Autumn.

It was like 1.70m in height when i planted it.

I hope i can get some fruits in 2-3 years.

Also have a different variety that is waiting to be planted in spring.

Its called “Myagkoplodnaya”

The description makes it look VERY interesting … does anyone have this variety?!

http://cornusmas.eu/pages/strona-glowna/oferta/pigwa

Iam really curious how both of them will compare in the future.

Already tried a few quinces from Austria and they where good raw.

Sweet and Sour with a minimum level of astringency.

Very palatable.

3 Likes

I have been growing Crimea from One Green World for about 15 years. I am also growing Kaunching and Kuganskaya. They are all Russian, fresh-eating ones. I have eaten Aromatnaya. You can eat it fresh. I prefer the others. Crimea and Kuganskaya are both called Krimskaya in Russia. The taste is so similar that I can;'t tell the difference. I like Kaunching more than Aromatnaya and less than the other two.

Lately, I’ve been cutting them up and putting them in salad, rice, casserole, etc, as well as fresh eating. My wife cooks them into apple sauce, apple pie, etc.
John S
PDX OR

2 Likes

John,
They sound delicious! Are the growing on quince rootstock?

Most are just growing on their own roots. Every time I prune my quince, which is often here in the drizzly PNW, I put the prunings in the ground and I grow a new tree. Mostly I graft compatible pears to them. A couple are quince on quince.
JohN S
PDX OR

3 Likes

John,
That sounds like a great way to grow them. Never thought of growing them like that. Great idea!

Yea, thanks! i will give it a try

I am curious as to how the Myagopladnaya will taste. I had never heard of it until now. Thanks for the info.
John S
PDX OR

1 Like

Hey!

I asked Sven from the Polish Nursery how the the “Myagkoplodnaya” compares to other Quinces and to “Aromatnaya / Krymska” (It had both of these names when i bought it from our Austrian nursery)

He said this:

The Myagkoplodnaya is a bit less aromatic than hard standard Quinces but it can be eaten raw like an apple.

On the first bite its sour but then it increases in sweetness.

I have recently tried “Aromatnaya / Krymska”.

Compared to it, Myagkoplodnaya is less bitter and tastes better.

BTW:

Here is my young Aromatnaya Quince tree:

I will plant Myagkoplodnaya next to it

Iam really curious how both will compare in the futrue

5 Likes

Thanks for quince reports guys!
Sven’s nursery at cornusmas.eu has some really interesting stuff…