Who's growing the Xinjiang Fragrant Pear?

Clark, if you have the same wood Tony and I had it was some sort of mix-up: it was just a regular type pear. I think I got it directly from ARS.

1 Like

@PharmerDrewee, @scottsmith, Clark.

My Yali tasted very good this year. Very sharp crunch, juicy, and agreeable sweetness when the fruits are in the yellowish stage with a light red blush. It’s similar to Fragrant pear texture, juciness but not the fragrance. Andrew, the Fragrant pear from the store so far non of Us were able to get the Scion wood yet but but I got a scionwood seedling from Scott Smith and it grew well but not fruited yet. I also got a scionwood of the Yulu Fragrant pear from Derby this Spring and it grew well also. Hopefully in a few years these two will produce s fruit similar to the store bought Fragrant pear.

3 Likes

It’s too bad they don’t grow true from seed or I’d be planting all the seeds from the pears I eat to grow some of those wonderful fragrant pears!

Scott,
It likely was the same wood. Once it produces I will post a photo of the pear.

I missed this thread somehow, my “lanti” will probably fruit this year. I thought it odd that it did not grow like other Asian pears but it makes more sense now, sigh…

1 Like

I will buy one soon… just hope it’s a good variety! :smiley:

1 Like

My new Xinjiang fragrant pear :grin:

5 Likes

Very nice. So far I only have a seedling of it from Scott’s scion and a Yulu fragrant pear from Sophia’s scionwood.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Our seedling fragrant Pear tree. ( about 4 years old.)

6 Likes

How was everyones fruit this year? Mine did not fruit.

No fruits this year for me. Maybe next year for sure.

2 Likes

Sophia,
do you have Yulu Frag scion wood to share or for sale?
Thanks
Jie

would you share or sell scion wood of your Frag Pear seedling? I’m very intested.
Thanks
Jie

I can share some scions with you.

1 Like

Wonderful! Here is my email jieyao63@gmail.com or you can message me on Facebook Jie Yao | Facebook

Thanks

how do we know which variety of pears need storage before eating? or eat ripe from tree? im hoping to learn more. thank you!

I think all the Fragrant pears are supposed to be stored until March or so. That is one reason why they were popular, they come to the stores in the middle of winter when there traditionally was not much fresh fruit.

1 Like

Here is a chart for some from Filoli

1 Like

Wonderful! Here is my email jieyao63@gmail.com or you can message me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/apleasant.vineyard

Thanks