Who's planting squash this year?

@Bellatrix

I know those large butternut types as neck pumpkins

2 Likes

They look similar to crook-necked or neck pumpkins when they are grown on at trellis, but take on a more squat shape on the ground. The curve ones in the picture were lower down on the trellis and hit the ground as they were growing; other wise they are completely straight. The two green ones on the left are how they look when starting on the ground. They also seem to be a long more tough than similar varieties that I’ve grown before (Dutch Crookneck, Tahitian Melon, and Long of Naples).

3 Likes

@Bellatrix

These are neck pumpkins which are similar looking but comparing them i see the difference.

7 Likes

They say that Tromboncino can be used as a butternut, but given how large the fruits can get (I had a few that were almost 5 feet long and over 20 lbs) you had better love squash…lol

Scott

5 Likes

I love squash but I don’t get a good harvest from them, short season here. I started mine really early this year. I usually get better summer squash and maybe like one Hubbard or kabota from a ton of plants. pumpkins here are doomed.

I get the borers but I wait until dusk then use a needle-less syringe (like for giving the dog her medicine in a squirt, that kind) I fill it with sevin and inject it into the stems, then squirt a tiny bit around any holes or leavings I can see. doing it at night I don’t hurt the bees coming in for the flowers, and I keep it in and on the vine only.

last year I finally got some delicata. this year I have too many delicata starts and no patty pans! maybe I’ll direct sow those later this month.

I’m growing tromboncino, cucuzza, and a single traditional zucchini (though in a pot so I can watch for borers). Because cucuzza is actually a gourd, it’s not bothered by squash bugs as much, though I had bad leaf-footed bugs on them last year. Very productive and flavor is similar to zucchini when picked young. Needs a lot of space like tromboncino. Got my seeds from Seeds of Italy.

3 Likes