Wild callery pear rootstocks

Just a couple of baby fruit pics. Not sure if I should thin? I think there had actually been a lot more but see fewer now- maybe the tree dropped some on its own?

4 Likes

Robert,
Hordes of robins, starlings, grackles, blackbirds, etc. are not consuming Bartlett pears and pooping the seeds out all over the countryside. But, if Bartlett fruits were pea- to marble-size, and hung on into fall/winter, we’d possibly be overrun with Bartlett-parentage seedlings… but no human would want to eat those pea-size Bartlett pears.

4 Likes

@ClothAnnie

There is something very satisfying to me when i graft a tree and its producing fruit. I’m imagining it must be the same feeling you have right now congratulations! The crops increase more all the time.

2 Likes

@ClothAnnie

How are you doing with your pears? Hope all is well!

1 Like

Thanks so much for checking!! Perfect timing!

We harvested four today- some sort of wasp seems to be enjoying them! Will attach a pic of the happy wasp, one cut up, and three whole ones. We enjoyed the two we cut up- they’re quite hard but nice flavor although kids don’t like the sort of tough skin. I’m keeping two in the fridge in case that helps ripen them. Maybe give them a week or two? They seem to oxidize very quickly in case that helps identify the variety. I notice starchiness (?) on my knife after cutting, too… wonder if that indicates a lack of ripeness.

Thanks again for asking. I will try to post a pic of the whole tree soon

3 Likes

That red skin over yellow looks like an ayers pear.
I’m 99.999999999% sure that is what is but there are pears that can resemble it somewhat in appearance. I’m actually 100% sure what that pear is but I give myself some room for varities I’ve never seen because they are out there. Here is the ayers pear and as you can see it’s unmistakably your pear Ayers pear! . They are ripe when the seeds are black and at that time they are melting and juicy. Literally they Drip with juice. I noticed the seeds appear white which is a tip off your early. Ayers will hang on the tree until ripe and beyond there is no hurry to pick ayers. The insects are detecting the high amounts of sugar. They are still weeks from ripe. When you tilt them up and they break off easily in your hand they are ripe. In addition when you push with your thumb against the neck of the pear it should have a slight give to it. The first pears are never the best pears and frequently it takes a couple years to master picking them at the right time. I’m very glad your getting pears!

2 Likes

Last year I picked some pears early and let them stay on the counter. I checked the neck almost daily for a slight give. The method worked well for these. I only have a few Harrow Sweet on the tree this year and I will try this method on them.

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I knew that one of the scions that @Auburn had given me was Ayers, so, yay! I think a bit of my tree is then Moonglow (possibly Korean Giant though I doubt that’s one that survived the graft iirc) but the Ayers has taken off and been the only one to flower. It flowered a bit in 2020 but only 3ish fruit, none of which were good/had something funky going on, then a lot of flowers this year and maybe we’ll have 5ish more fruits that the insects (hornets?) haven’t gotten unless they start eating them while I let them hang on the tree. My youngest LOVES them even unripe lol. I will try to let some stay on so we can try them in a couple of weeks. I’m so thankful- God is so good in His generosity and Bill was so generous to get me some scions back in… I guess it was 2017?! Amazing. I’m really thankful! Will try to go get a pic of the tree.

2 Likes

Thankfully the hornets don’t seem to mind my presence but I sure am acquainted with stings so give them lots of space lol. It’s hard to begrudge them moisture or sugar- it’s soooo dry and hot here in VA right now. It’s interesting to me how much heartier the Ayers seems in comparison to the Moonglow. Uploading: 4109818C-A7C1-4044-866E-D79AD6269E39.jpeg… Uploading: F5EF5CDC-AFA3-42D3-AFF0-B449C16E0DDE.jpeg… Uploading: F3C9684C-06E0-4B43-8B79-AEAB61413326.jpeg…

1 Like

Hmmm trying again.

3 Likes

Glad it work out.

2 Likes

Anyone have a pear pruning guide they recommend? I’ve been topworking wild callerys in local parks like crazy and need to give them haircuts.

2 Likes

All of my pears are on Callery rootstock.

Shenseiki seedling

Yali

Bartlett

Shinko

Pai Li

Ayers

Drippin Honey

Chojoro

Harvest Queen

They are ripen real fast now due to the hot weather.

10 Likes

Tony,
When I grew Shinko, mine had brown skin pears. Can’t tell if your were brown skin.

1 Like

They will get darker brown in another week or so. They are real juicy and sweet. One of my favorite.

1 Like

@tonyOmahaz5

When will my pai li ripen?

4 Likes

I usually pick them anywhere from light yellow to fully yellow. They are real good at those stages.

2 Likes

@tonyOmahaz5
3 pai li dropped today so I ate one and it was good.

1 Like

Did your Tennosui fruit for you this year, Tony?

Tennosui is productive. The taste definitely a mixed of Asian and European, juicy, crunchy, and a hint of tangy.

4 Likes