Wild callery pear rootstocks

39th Parallel has two varieties of Sekel I think they’re still in stock, you could ask him easily and figure it all out.

@Trav

If only it was that easy i would do it. @39thparallel and i discuss the many obscure pears at times. It is hard to grow them all , but thats the only way we know for sure.

1 Like

My old neighbor has two full grown Callery pears in his backyard. I plan to top work them this spring so they can enjoy the harvest for the next 5 or so years before they move.

2 Likes

Some varieties are not compatible, most Asian pears are, and most quince compatible pears are… or so says my research.

I recommend Clara Frijs! The most graft and best interstem variety and the favorite eating pear of Denmark! (In stock at 39th Parallel Nursery)

1 Like

Good to know! I have mostly Asian pears to graft this year thanks to a couple very generous forum members.

1 Like

@disc4tw @Trav

We know Wild Callery pears are all genetically different. Clara frijs is very easy to graft i agree.

Had a bad fireblight strike on clara frijs last year. It took out half a tree. Try harrow delight it is another good interstem. The best is the small yellow pear i grow.

2 Likes

I am planning on eating your Small Yellow Pear once it grows more, but thank you for the reminder about it’s use as an interstem! I had forgotten.

1 Like

I transplanted this wild callery Jan 26… grafted it (modified cleft) Feb 23… and below is what it looked like on Apr 6.

5 Likes

@ClothAnnie

How are your pears doing this year?

1 Like

@TNHunter

Kieffer sure is nice to have around! Glad your having good fortune with grafting this year.

1 Like

@disc4tw

They are good pears for a lot of reasons. Disease resistance is great!

1 Like

Thanks so much for asking! I’ve got lots of blooms!

I actually bought a bunch of different scions and they’re still in my fridge. I’ve tried quickly grafting them on but think I must’ve taken more care five years ago so as nothing I’ve tried in the past few weeks is taking. I guess I may have used a bag or something over the scions to keep in moisture. These recent attempts have not included any plastic bags over them and are just totally drying out! I’ve also wondered if I’m just too late… Basically all of the callery pears have dropped their flowers and are just leafing out.

1 Like

@ClothAnnie

Be patient with them and dob something on the end of the scion like tar, pruning seal, wax, etc. on the tree so they dont dry out.
Some will likely take. .

1 Like

Ok! Thank you! Maybe I can try some more this Saturday! So it’s not too late, even though the callery pear trees are all leaves at this point?

1 Like

@ClothAnnie

That wont hurt anything. Callery have plenty of energy stored to push growth in the grafts. It is hot weather and lack of moisture that causes problems with grafting.

1 Like

I grafted onto callery pear last June and July and many took.

2 Likes

They are absolutely rampant in the small town where I live in WV. Thousands in every space left unkept. Fields of them

2 Likes

@Fishinjunky

I would graft them over to good pears and kill out the ones i didn’t graft so they couldn’t reproduce.

3 Likes

Mr. Clark,

Do you have any experience with transplanting callery at this time of year, assuming that it is relatively small in size? I know it would be better to wait until dormant but some of these seedlings wont be available to me by that time

Thank you sir

1 Like

@JerrytheDragon

Have transplanted many to where i wanted them this time of year and never lost one of them doing it. They were not alway considered an undesirable tree. In the old days every nursery i know of used them for rootstocks.

2 Likes