Winblo

I’m sorry Ray, but I have to differ with you here. Funding for breeding projects has been drastically cut in the last decade or two. That was why Cornell shut down much of their programs and now focus only on a limited number of projects likely to bring relatively quick cash payback to fund such research. This country’s gov spends a fraction of budget on R and D in general than other wealthy nations except as it applies to weapons.

But I fear I’ve strayed into a fruitless political debate- your very strong response to my rather bland suggestion inspired it. It wasn’t a joke.

NC experienced a big cut in funding for breeding on blueberry and peaches but it looks like Arkansas is still breeding a lot of new blackberry variety. They are fortunate to have so many variety still under patent that produce royalties to fund their research.

Pea, Im in the process of treating my Winblo and O’Henry with Mycoshield
This will be my second application at a one week interval. Do you use it preventively
as well? Would it be effective as a dormant spray?

Hi Tuff,

Mycoshield applications are supposed to do the most good early in the season. We are already over 3 mo. post bloom in my area, so I was done with Mycoshield applications quite some time ago. I think you are in the Northeast, so you are probably quite a bit behind us on fruit development.

It’s generally recognized that bac. spot is one of those preventative sprays like leaf curl (that is, if one generally has issues from it, it’s best to try to prevent it). Like so many diseases, once you see symptoms on the fruit, it’s too late.

I think you are on the right track. Mycoshield has always been foolproof in terms of results in my home orchard.

Olpea, Thanks again. The peaches are young, got them as whips and this is the second year in the ground and so far I have one peach on one of the winblos which will probably fall off. In any event the only evidence of spot was on the leaves. Guess its one more item to spray. I could see using it as a dormant spray, then again after petal fall, as needed.