Wind Damage

Last night we had 75 mph winds that broke off a limb from my neighbors gum ball tree. Luckily, it missed my house but landed on top of one of my fig hoop houses. It grazed my Red Gold nectarine.

It fell just beyond my Orangeglo melon patch, but the figs weren’t so
fortunate.
In the middle is Capol Curt Negra, which was split in half. I think I can salvage it, but to its left used to be Battaglia Green, that was loaded with fruit. To the left of it is part of Bourjasette Gris, which I was planning on ditching, if it didn’t start producing.
Since it’s considered an act of God, insurance won’t cover it and my
deductible is 2k. Although cleaning up and rebuilding the hoop house is a pia, it could have been a lot worse, so I’m not complaining. I have a crew coming over to clean up the mess, as I don’t have a chain saw and am too old to do this type of physical work anymore.

5 Likes

On positive side free wood to build with, carve, or have a campfire.
It is sad to lose good fruit trees from weather. Yeah it could have been much worse.

1 Like

I’m just throwing this out there, but a few years ago a tree blew down on my neighbors yard. They told him they were not responsible for it, unless it his a structure. Sure enough it had landed on his garden and broken the small garden fence. The insurance company then took full responsibility.

The wind is the most destructive act of nature I deal with too, worse then rain or cold or heat.

Sorry to see those pics.

2 Likes

I’ll echo @growjimgrow about coverage. A big oak from my neighbors yard fell into our yard, destroying a bunch of apple trees I had grafted, etc. It fell on an ancient section of chain link fence, which would have been enough to make clean up covered, but was also just barely touching the side of the house. The adjuster told me either would have been enough to qualify. It had actually damaged a large maple in my yard enough, that it wasn’t worth saving and since the oak was still touching that, it was covered as well. So it might be worth checking into if you think the cost is high enough for your deductible.

On the negative side it didn’t cover any of the trees I lost, etc. I definitely feel your pain and am sorry you lost those figs!

3 Likes

My neighbor has Allstate and they won’t cover the damage, since
the tree wasn’t decayed. I have State Farm, and they said the same
thing. They’ll pay for the damage in excess of the deductible, but my
rate will go up. The monetary amount of the damage is less than the
deductible, so why bother.

3 Likes

Ouch! All that torn netting!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to see that Ray. It’s a real bummer. Don’t give up on Bourjasotte Grise. It’s a very good fig.

Sorry to see that happen to all your hard work. The figs can be turned into cuttings and rooted if they’re not dried out.

1 Like

If it was your neighbor’s tree, he should check with his insurance co. Your ins will take out deductibles and raise your rates etc to try and keep you from putting in a claim on your policy. However when your property causes a loss to others the ins co is usually very willing to pay up (likely to avoid a law suit and other liability).

3 Likes

So sorry to see that happened to you, Ray.

At least it didn’t get the Orangeglo! Good luck and safe cleanup.

1 Like

It could be worse. Worked out in the end so far.