Winter Nellis Pear identification needed for producing rootstock and fruit

Thanks Matt maybe Lizzy has more to share this year. I would be glad to pay shipping charges if she has some or if someone else has some spares to trade or sell.

If your search comes up cold, sometimes Sanhedrin (Calif) sells it on OHF.333. And sometimes Maple Valley (Wisc) sells budsticks of it.

1 Like

Clark,

You keep taking about pears got me wanting to eat some. I bought some D’ Anjou pears and to my surprise they were creamy, juicy, and sweet. Soft ripened.

Tony

2 Likes

Those look good Tony. We have been eating a lot of canned ones. We got some gala apples at the store that were wonderful. I think before winter is over the people with cold storage full of apples and pears will be moving more and it’s only going to get better for those of us buying. I’m afraid to raise gala and Fuji for fear of FB but I love them. I have heard Fireblight can be a problem with many of the varieties they raise up north. Same with the pears I love to eat like Bosc. Fruitnuts Bosc harvest pictures had my mouth watering.

Clark,

My mother in law used to have a 12 yrs old Bosc pear tree at her old house in Omaha. I did not see any disease on the tree. Very nice looking leaves and tasty russet fruits though.

Tony

1 Like

Maybe they are worth a try in our area. Might be surprised. I get away with growing Bartlett most of the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PL5P6NUvW3s

1 Like

Alcedo,
They look really good but nothing like what I’m growing. I’m adding them to my list of pears I need. Thank you

Matt,
Maple valley is not taking orders or does not have prices up yet but if it’s available I will just get a couple of sticks from them. Thanks

Their website says they’ll start taking scionwood orders in January 2016.

1 Like

I will have some extra Winter Nelis—you can pm me.

2 Likes

Clark, I am already sending you some stuff and will throw WN in. Its one tree away from where I will be cutting already :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Scott I really appreciate that.

Just FYI, here are some of my Winter Nelis pears. They are not the prettiest pears! The one on the far right is abnormally large for a Nelly, but I culled heavily this year for various reasons, so the remaining pears got quite big. Also, the blobs of wax on the stems are there to keep them from losing moisture through the stem during the long stretch of cold storage. It seems to work pretty well.

2 Likes

Whoa, Nelly !!!

By appearances alone-- Looks like if Bosc and D’Anjou had a kid, it would be Winter Nelis.

Haha!

Those are great looking pears! Thanks for posting a picture. That helps me out a lot.

1 Like

Sometimes I enjoy looking back on my old threads from several years ago.There are some answers I still do not have and likely never will about my small yellow pear and other things. I continue to chase answers Canadian Pears Enie, Menie, Miney, Moe, Phileson . Origin does not matter as much as flavor I realize but I would benefit from someone else’s experience growing this pear.

1 Like

No blooms on winter nelis yet. I’m patient but even on ohxf333 it takes time. Have it grafted here and there on other things as well but no rootstock has induced fruiting.

1 Like