Winter tree work?

when the lakes break up these still 3ft of ice in the middle and some chunks the size of cars come down into the rivers some times pushing up to 500ft. into the woods from the river’s edge. everyone goes to the bottlenecks in the river to watch it when it comes down. when we were kids we would stand on the bridge and watch the big chunks smash into the pillons. ill see if i can take some pics of it this spring and post them on here.

1 Like

Did some trimming today before the big winter “Storm” of 1 to 3 cm of snow.

4 Likes

Hopefully it’s too cold up there for the dreaded Bradford pear to take over.

3 Likes

@BluegrassEats … you look a lot like GI Joe :wink:

4 Likes

Couldn’t resist.

1 Like

2 down and cut/split into firewood… getting close to 3 (rank, rick, face cords) from the first two trees.

I tell you… during the week while i am working… sunny and nice… Saturday rolls around and it rains most of the day. It fanally stopped (sort of) still a very light mist… and I got a few hours work done late this evening.

Any of you know what a (rank, rick, face cord) of firewood sells for in your area ???

I am giving this to kin folks and friends so far…

4 Likes

$80 for seasoned face cord here in upstate NY.

1 Like

EAB = ?

1 Like

Emerald Ash Borer.

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

It’s like $400 - $500 where I live in tree hugger country. Here it’s said, if you’re new in town and want to meet all your neighbours just fire up the old chainsaw and proceed to cutting. :rofl:

5 Likes

I sold that hickory firewood… 50.00 a rick (face cord) just recently and gave the $$$ to my son (a financially strapped college student) who grads next spring. We had a total of 5.5 ricks.

I have new fruit trees in that field now… 4 persimmons, 2 plums, 2 pears, 2 apples, 1 mulberry, and a cluster of elderberry.

3 Likes

that’s cheap. $200 -$250 a standard cord here but that’s cut/ split and delivered. with the price of fuel oil so high many that still can are burning wood. they go through a average of 7cord per winter here.

3 Likes

Around here any hardwood split and delivered dry is 4-500$ a cord. Fir is usually about 300$ split dry delivered. Fir is often dropped in rounds for 200 or less or free if you go get it.

Cottonwood is always free split or dry and hard to give away. Piles of it laying around…Smells like eucalyptus and baby poop as it burns quickly into a big pile of ash.

Coffee spitter there. So funny.

5 Likes

only times aspen or fir is burnt here is in the fire pits. no one would pay a penny for it.

2 Likes

Specifically Doug fir. It’s the only one people burn. It’s probably our most abundant species here besides cedar and cottonwood. And a touch of maple. It’s not as sappy as most other firs.

Ponderosa pine (e Washington) would be a sap fire with a little wood in the middle. Ha

2 Likes

18M BTU per cord for Douglas Fir is fairly decent. 13.5M for cottonwood not so much.

Not much of either of those in my neck of the woods, we burn a lot of maple/oak/hickory/beech… I finally convinced a tree cutting service to drop us a load of wood… Bradford Pear which should be pretty good at 26.5M BTU per cord.

4 Likes

yeah. our balsam fir is sappy as hell. none of our softwoods here are good for burning all though the folks in northern Canada and Alaska burn black spurce out of necessity. we have hardwoods like sugar maple, beech and y. birch which burn alot hotter/longer without the creosote buildup you get burning most softwoods

3 Likes

I cut a few 4-6 inch persimmon trees and did bark grafts on them…

I cut up those persimmon tops and added them to my hickory firewood stack…

Persimmon is a very hard wood and has a bit higher BTU rating than hickory.
One of the buyers questioned the persimmon wood, but was OK after hearing that.

TNHunter

3 Likes

I don’t think street parking will be as exciting for their guests without black walnuts dropping 80 feet onto the cars. My power wasn’t even cut all day for this tree removal.

4 Likes