Wisteria Bloom

They both grow counter-clockwise.

By the way, floribunda and sinensis are not the only two Asian species. Silky Wisteria (Wisteria brachybotrus) is also native to Japan. It grows counter-clockwise.

I think there are actually about 9 Wisteria species in total, but I don’t know all of them.

2 Likes

Yes. I have this one.

35F this morning but not seeing any damage. They have a nice scent to them.

I might try to root a cutting//i’ll have to research.

4 Likes

when i researched i saw that they mostly graft on seedlings. Since cuttings are usually hard to root.

I tried rooting without success years ago. But i was less skilled at rooting back than.

I think the main reason for grafting wisteria is that a seedling takes 7-10 years to bloom, which is a long time to wait. I’m not getting any younger. :grin:

Looks like you can try softwood cuttings. I’ll do some and report any success. I’ve had varying success with softwood cuttings…some are simple (Gardenia)…and some not so much. I’m guessing i’ll have to take them sometime mid/late June.

As far as i understood it, the time to flower is a genetic trait for wisteria, So if you sow enough, some will flower early. Those are selected for named varieties. And since they propegate poorly by cuttings. they “clone” them by grafting.

As far as I’m aware we don’t have dwarf rootstock for wisteria.

So the grafting is very much there for propagation’s sake. The early flowers is a property of a variety. Thus you could graft a genetic longer to flower wisteria for example, and it would still take a long time to flower.
So even though grafted wisteria flower earlier, that’s not causal due to grafting. More from choice of variety.

only other thing i can think of is an epigenetic reason for earlier flowering. But if seen no proof of that. If anyone has please share :slight_smile:

Exactly. The work has already been done to determine which varieties have which traits, including early flowering. From a mass market perspective, trying to sell people seedlings that won’t bloom for 7-10 years is a non-starter. You could accomplish the same thing with cuttings, but as stated earlier wisteria cuttings are not always easy to start, and grafting scions onto an established rootstock gives plants a significant head start in growth, which also means less time to first bloom.

1 Like

This is my wisteria, can anyone tell me what kind it is? I bought it with no label years ago from a road side shed, I didn’t even know there are different kinds of wisteria back then.

It took 5-6 years to bloom.

2 Likes

it’s hard to see on the picture. But which way does it rotate while climbing?
Does it climb clockwise or counter clockwise?

I’m about positive mine is called ‘blue moon’ and is a kentucky wisteria.

I went out and checked, it’s counter clock. Never paid attention to this before.

it’s longer time to flower and leaves unfurling during flower made me suspect floribunda. But floribunda rotates clockwise if I’m not mistaken.

So most likely you have sinensis or a native/other species.