Wood chips / compost

oh, absolutely, it wasn’t a ding against growing them in my book–the chips become humus that much faster, so it makes a great fertilization regimen, but it IS something to be aware of I suppose–a chip bed that might last 3-5 years if you let nature colonize it at its own pace will last half that if you deliberately inoculate and it grows well.

On the other hand, it will give you more organic material, and tasty mushrooms. Almost everyone has a couple mushrooms they prefer to them (maitake, shiitake, hericium, morels, for example), but generally stropharia remain pretty highly regarded, especially if you eat them at button or near-button stages. and they can make buttons almost the size of a baseball under favorable conditions.

As a side note, you could grow brick tops, oysters, honey mushrooms, etc. in wood chips too, theoretically, but they are aggressive enough to potentially enter the tree itself and kill it–I certainly wouldn’t try. And there are mushrooms which grow well on straw, etc. that don’t do as well on wood chips, like shaggymanes. But Stropharia are unique in being extremely easy to grow, favoring wood chips, and not being aggressive enough to attack living trees.

2 Likes

Excellent information Mark thanks. Did not know about the other fungi liking chips as well.

1 Like

They just like wood. The problem is they dont care if it is dead or not…

1 Like

I make most of my own compost for my home veg garden, orchard and nursery. Woodchps are my biggest inpiut, 40-80 yds annualy. Last fall I did something a bit different, which was to take a 10 yd pile of chips and lay it down as a windrow 5’ x 2’ x 100’. I topped it off with some half decomposed chicken bedding from my coop, just enough to cover. This spring , the windrow is being turned into some nice fungal vermicompost by huge numbers of red wrigglers, and I think it will be terrific material for my trees.

3 Likes