Working with different sized scion wood- Advice for grafting new rootstocks

My G.890 take rate this year is 100% so far, just waiting on my Dabinett and Harrison (still totally dormant but not dessicated) so I can’t say about those yet.

2 Likes

I wish I had seen your post earlier, as it addresses the exact problem I faced! Almost all of my trees had terrible rodent damage this winter (I’m in eastern Ontario, Canada) - lots of snow and the voles had a field day! Girdled from root to 2 feet up - never seen anything like it. That forced me into learning about grafting, finding rootstocks etc. Fortunately I realized early enough to take some scion wood - although I think I probably screwed up and took some two year old wood in some cases when the 1-year was the Q-Tip size that someone else mentioned. I thought it was too skinny to do anything with. I was hoping to graft close to the root, so that the trees can eventually put down their own roots, but came to realize that I had to just go for the best size match - no matter whether it was 2" or 24" above the root. Live and learn I guess!
However, what I’d like to do with some of those high up grafts is to take them off next year and graft the piece of rootstock and the grafted on scion onto a standard rootstock (basically creating an interstem). Can I do that? Can one even order standard rootstock anywhere? How much of the rootstock do you need to create an interstem? I grafted onto B9 and M26. Opinions much appreciated!

I used to get standard roots from Lawyer Nursery…but they are now defunct. (I do have seedlings growing that I’ve planted)

Time passes and some things don’t get done.

Anyhow, something like 93% take rate on apples this year…or about 135 of 145.

Pears, not so good…under 50% I think. Best % was to callery seedlings rathr than OH x F 97.

I still like my results of putting 2 very think (thin…I don’t need spell correct!) scions into a cleft of larger rootstocks…usually both take and in a year, one gets snipped (and possibly offered for scion swaps).

2 Likes