Wormwood harvest

Once upon a time I read quite a lot about absinthe. It seems the “back in the day” stuff had a lot more wormwood properties vs. the modern stuff. Being a hallucinogen, the content is very much controlled, if truly allowed at all.

Its almost weed category. I’ve chopped it yearly…comes right back up. I know about it because the Lyme people use it for coinfections.

Wonder if you could worm livestock with it? Of course you might end up unintentionally killing them, yikes, haha. I might try strewing it around under trees. Who knows, maybe it will act as a preventative. I planted it under some roses with the intent of reducing pests for the rose. I also keep tansy underneath this rose. Not sure if it’s accomplishing what I put it there for or not!

Wormwood is very invasive in dryer climates. In many states it is a noxious weed and you are required to spray or kill it. I remember in the 70’s seeing it emerge and in a few years it was everywhere. It may not be such a problem in wetter climates. Be careful with it. You may regret planting it.

2 Likes

Lets not forget about everyone’s favorite Artemisia. Artermisia dracunculus AKA French Tarragon

2 Likes

Maybe…do they eat it? You could just give them ivermectin…which is also being use for covid in some countries (Bangladesh).

I wouldn’t plant it unless you have a need. I’ll have to go see what mine is doing…its stayed in the same spot it just comes back every year and i cut it down again. Its nothing like creeping charlie or some of these weeds that require nuclear weapons to rid yourself of.

i was just about to ask about that. :wink:

1 Like