Yikes! Sulfur lowered pH too much!

Haha, yeah about that:

Granted I new what I was getting myself into by buying the lowest cost raw product but previous to this I was searching for “blueberry fertilizer” which was very costly.

While buying on Amazon pretty much every elem. sulfur product had little to no guidelines for using it for blueberries, most seem to target lawn use with a generic application rate via a spreader. Through various documents I settled on the rule of thumb: 2 apps per year @ 0.15 oz/sqft to lower pH by 0.5 depending on soil type (sand = less, clay = more)

But really doing DIY soil adjustments with any level of precision is a moot point unless you have the ability to easily test your soil pH semi-accurately.

I was talking about liming. Sulfur is trickier but I also use my “pinch of salt” approach at this point. You have to understand that it is a much more concentrated adjuster than lime. I’m usually only employing it to install blueberries, which I don’t do a lot of because I can’t grow them profitably in my nursery. I always mix a ton of peat moss into the soil anyway, and if the pH is close to 7 or above, I don’t even bother trying to grow BB’s in that. Might as well start with new “soil”. I like forest compost, peat and sand in equal proportions. Sulfur is not the equivalent in ability to adjust pH as lime and some soils just aren’t appropriate for BB’s, based on my sad experiences.

1 Like