Young persimmon pruning

Thanks! Makes sense. I was only considering cutting the thicker branch (starting with where the tape is tied) since it is breaking the “rule” since it’s as thick as the main trunk. But then it’s become the central leader it seems so maybe that’s not too bad. Maybe I trim that to an outward bud? It seems to have a lot of non-fruiting wood and is then sprouting from the top so it will just get taller.

Wow, pretty cool. I didn’t know that.

I don’t see issue removing that branch if you want it gone, but because it’s not that big of a tree yet I would probably leave it alone - at least for the year until it’s dormant again, because it may still put out some new lower branches and you can always take it off later. My persimmons like to make new growth off old wood every year, so there’s no issue finding new replacement branches in the future if something is lost. IMO that tree wants WAY more soil volume to be truly happy, like triple at least. Good luck!

1 Like

Thank you! Yes I’m uppotting it to a 25gal soon. It’s been on the list for a while but haven’t had a chance. Maybe I need to go to 30gal directly.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I’ll leave it alone for now. Appreciate it.