Your favorite heat-tolerant lettuce or leafy green?

You just steam them?

I like mixed ‘greens’. Instead of mustard greens or collard greens or turnip greens or kale greens or spinach greens…I like 'em mixed. And cooked together. Adding horseradish leaves is a big asset to the mix of mild greens.

1 Like

Horseradish leaves are mild, nothing like the root. They taste like a mild version of cabbage, with just a hint of the horseradish flavor. They are very large leaves. Sometimes I remove the rib on the large leaves, because they are fibrous, but I also sometimes chop up the rib into little pieces, then I like them.

2 Likes

keeps out the deer… it’s only 5 ft. high, but about 5 ft between fences…I think deer know if they jump the 5’ fence, try will be right into the fence on other side.

1 Like

Zone 7a here (with 100+ temps June/July). Lettuce is a losing battle after, say, mid June. I usually manage to baby some a while longer interplanted with potatoes and such for a bit of shade. I had a fairly good luck with Slobolt variety - and I just let the ones that hang on longer to set seed and scatter - self sown lettuce for next spring :wink: But in the middle of the summer it seems hopeless.
I tried “perennial kale” first time this year. We’ll see about perennial, but the plants got huge, have large meaty leaves and seem to take heat in stride. Several didn’t succumb to cabbage aphids either, which normally are a menace on anything brassica in the summer. They taste milder than kale - more a bit like cabbage, but great for cooked greens. Not sure for raw salads - maybe I should try picking very small leaves or blanching.

1 Like