Ziploc bag design change for 2020

I have so much wind here I may have to convert from bags to those nylon footies for a lower wind profile. I’m not very good tying off the footies though- takes me a long time and fingers get tired.

2 Likes

Those footsies are quite stretchy. You can use those twisty ties to tie them instead.

2 Likes

@hambone, I’ve tried pet grooming bands successfully in the past. Here’s a video showing how to do it.
https://youtu.be/BIuEvrzAZYQ

1 Like

Thanks. I tried footies a few years ago and had poor results. It seems some bug can lay eggs right through the footie. And I had a lot of apples drop off- more than a normal June drop. My huge apple drop problem here may not be caused by ziplocks or footies but something else- tree immaturity, drought, other.

1 Like

I still have some drops but not as much as when I first started bagging. I do think as the tree gets older it tends to support more fruit/less drops. Letting the apple get at least pea size also helps.

1 Like

I’m jealous of you guys who can bag apples. I did it one year, and it worked great. Then the critters learned that bags mean food. They stripped every bagged apple within a week of bagging them. No more bags for me.

1 Like

I used footies dipped in surround on some peaches, and they came out with no blemishes. It was hard to tie them on without knocking off quite a few, though. Perhaps best to wait on thinning until the footies are on. I thought about using them on my nectarine this year. The surround spray didnt seem to stick at all to the nectarines like on the peaches, and they had significant pest damage.

For those having tried footies and baggies, does anyone prefer the footies?

1 Like

Bags are faster for me than footies but I don’t think you can use ziplock bags on peaches or they’ll rot.