2017 Grafting Thread

Then the grafts ought to be happy this spring!

Years and years and years after I topworked my Kieffer pear, I’m finally seeing some Doyenne Gris blooms.

Now if it will only x-pollinate with the Seckel

1 Like

Hmmm. The graft police may have something to say about opening a graft LOL.
What was it sealed with and when was it grafted? It may simply be the sap rising like you see on the distal end of many cut limbs. When the cambium re-establishes, the sap will have a route up to go.

1 Like

I opened it because I wrapped it with it with parafilm and then covered the grafted area itself with non-hardening plasticine. I figured the plasticine might be a little like wax. But when I saw all the moisture under there I opened it up. Some leaves tried to grow under the plasticine, couldn’t get out, and were slowly rotting. I figure I must have done something wrong, just not sure what, lol.

For the record, the graft itself has a callus and the scion is leafing out.

1 Like

Looks like i got about 4 or 5 takes from the FD aprium you sent me… i may have to cull a few.

FD on K1

2 Likes

In case anyone is wondering if scion wood can push growth thru the plasti-dip spray, here it is. I’ve experienced no negative effects from the petroleum ingredients that worried me, and overall I’ve been very happy with the performance of this stuff. I’ll report more as more grafts emerge.

7 Likes

Having a drip of water running over the scion at a very low rate…That might be ideal, actually. Keeping it moist, plenty of airflow…The more I learn about the Romans, the more I am impressed with their ingenious engineering and building.

I wrapped the graft with parafilm and then just the joint I wrapped with electrical tape also. I only did one small piece of tape. Today I noticed the tape popped open. I should’ve done two rounds. Should I put another piece of electrical tape on it or leave it be? This is the case with all of them. They were grafted on 4/9. Some scions are already showing bud break.

That’s a vigorous grower, FD

btw - I did find one bud pushing this spring from the apples you sent me. Of course the tag blew off, so the variety willl have to be a surprise.

The Crimson passion graft I placed on Juliet is pushing buds. Will be interesting to see if it takes and thrives.

2 Likes

At least something made it! Don’t worry about the labels. I sit and just shake my head when i look at some of my buds wondering what in the world it is :sunny:

I found a Honey Peach pushing on some apricot wood…i would imagine it will runt out at some point.

1 Like

I’ve got my personnal graft guardian

21 Likes

With today’s technology a fogger would be a nice replacement for a dripping pot. I do think that you would want to keep the graft union sealed up tight.

That is interesting. I wonder if any of the bush cherries would be compatible with other sour cherries like Montmorency or North Star?

1 Like

@Lizzy-- Your Lavina graft appears to have taken on my Laroda plum.

Yay!

4 Likes

I grafted apples (Rhode Island Greening and Golden Russett) as well as plums (toka, superior and shiro) this past weekend… 80+ degrees that day…

This morning it was 38 degrees…

@cityman wish you had asked your question about Sask cherries and sour cherry grafting a couple weeks ago. I’d have tried it for you. Would summer budding count?

Scott

I have Carmine Jewell grafted on Danube sour cherry as well as Montmorency. Both grew well and they flowered this year. I think that all sour cherries are fully compatible.

3 Likes

Well that is good news, I might have to try it this spring.

One of my Hesse-Weinberger plumcot grafts from last year has a fruit on it :smiley:

2 Likes